Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Calling all numitectives!!  (Read 803 times)

Offline Bamba123

• Caesar
Calling all numitectives!!
« on: August 13, 2007, 02:29:41 pm »
Ok, here I am hat in hand AGAIN, you'd think sooner or later I might learn enough to figure these out.  But this coin is SO fragile, attempts at cleaning launched pieces into space.

First it scales at 8.9g and measures 22.3 x 24.6mm!!
very limited legend
Obv ONI AVG, Laurette, cuirassed, draped bust right (unknown emporer, maybe Caracalla?)
Rev TANNIC?A?, Show Victory seated left on shield holding what appears to be a second shield

I am at a loss on this one.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you Jim
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1844

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
Re: Calling all numitectives!!
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 02:35:33 pm »
Hi,

Looks like it is RIC 521 (scarce), an as of Caracalla.

ANTONINVS PIVS AVG BRIT, laureate head right

VICTORIAE BRITANNICAE SC, victory seated left on shield, resting shield on knee and holding palm.

Nice find!

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline Bamba123

• Caesar
Re: Calling all numitectives!!
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2007, 03:08:49 pm »
Wow, this is why I love this board.  I just wish this coin was a tad less delicate.  There is little or nothing I can do to improve it.  I was trying for a little cleaning and a chunk just launched itself.  Thankfully it was on the edge with no legend.  Thanks for the heads up on ID, I tried wildwinds and coin archives and could not find anything.  Thanks again Mauseus, the help is appreciated.  Jim
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1844

All coins are guaranteed for eternity