Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Khwarezm Shahs question  (Read 996 times)

Offline dpaul7

• Consul
  • Acta est fabula, plaudite!
    • FORVM GALLERIES
Khwarezm Shahs question
« on: August 13, 2007, 07:31:52 pm »
Hello!

I bought the coin shown below - from a great and reliable dealer!   :)

But I am not sure I understand the attribution  ???

"Khwarezm Shahs, 'Ala al-Din Muhammad, AD 1200-1220, Billon fiduciary Dirham (4.28gm, 23mm), Rajput horseman type. Tye 240.5; Album 1739."

ZENO shows this type of coin as a Jital.  Is that a fuduciary dirham???? The coin appears to be bronze... maybe a bit of silver?? I sort of understand Rajput Horseman - but would liuke to know more about this.

Where was the coin made?  I cannot find a listing matching my coin - but I maybe don't know where to look! :-[

I really like this coin!  And the dealer who sold it!

dpaul7
Age. Fac ut gaudeam.
Aliena nobis, nostra plus aliis placent
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=17252

Offline Tantalus

• Praetorian
Re: Khwarezm Shahs question
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2007, 11:29:20 pm »
dpaul7,

I looked up Tye 240.5 in my Tye's Jitals. First, yours does match exactly the pictured Tye 240.5 in the book. It is from the mint at Qunduz. In short, here is Tye's explanation, on page 68, about this issue -

"The broad fabric and new weight standard of the late Qunduz coins 240 & 243 represent the most complex single transformation seen in the whole jital series. The coins are closely linked to the most important jital currencies of the time by their designs, but they are not jitals at all by their weight or shape, which derive from a completely different Central Asian coinage tradition. ... That issue, called the 'ghidrifi', was likewise a base billion 4.0 to 4.5 gram coin. The historian Narshakhi clearly indicated that the ghidrifi was a fiduciary coin..."

I hope that was helpful. But it may have just raised more questions.

The reverse Tye gives as:

as-sultan al-a/'zam 'Ala/ud-duniya wa ud-din

Which probably roughly translates as something like "The great Sultan Ala-ud-din" But I'm not sure about the correct form of the name and what the rest may mean. Maybe someone else can correct me.
There is rest and healing in the contemplation of antiquities. - Mark Twain

Offline dpaul7

• Consul
  • Acta est fabula, plaudite!
    • FORVM GALLERIES
Re: Khwarezm Shahs question
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2007, 06:02:46 am »
Tantalus,

Many thanks for your explanation!  It has been a grear help!

dpaul7
Age. Fac ut gaudeam.
Aliena nobis, nostra plus aliis placent
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=17252

All coins are guaranteed for eternity