Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Yet Another Hungarian Needs I.D.  (Read 1366 times)

Offline irish

• Consul
  • Look To Cydonia Plain
    • fix the moon
Yet Another Hungarian Needs I.D.
« on: July 12, 2007, 10:12:43 pm »
here is one that began as a black disc-like clump, but conserved rather nicely...the lettering is clear, the shield understandable, the date is nice 1621...but what is on the coin as main device on side opposite the shield?? scale is mm of course...

thank you for all the help so far....learning a lot...and while you are here, do you kow what is the relationship between Hungary, Slovakia, and Transylvania?....b
Detritus, detritus, detritus...ad infinitum...

Offline dpaul7

• Consul
  • Acta est fabula, plaudite!
    • FORVM GALLERIES
Re: Yet Another Hungarian Needs I.D.
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2007, 10:53:51 pm »
Hello!

The second picture is upside down -- It is madonna holding a child!

See my gallery:

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?album=1502&pos=48

dpaul7
Age. Fac ut gaudeam.
Aliena nobis, nostra plus aliis placent
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=17252

Offline irish

• Consul
  • Look To Cydonia Plain
    • fix the moon
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2007, 12:16:48 am »
ah...upside down, i see it now...the coin in this picture is like my understanding of the hungarian medieva then!  but i will tell you honestly, my understanding (Thanks to the help here) has increased 100% +++ since this morning....i have been visiting sites and reading all day...so it was a day well spent and i thank you again.....b

Cibalia

« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2007, 02:08:26 pm »
Date 1621 makes it Ferdinand II.

Offline j.berta

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2007, 05:44:48 am »
Transylvania, Gábor Bethlen denar, minted at Körmöcbánya (Kremnitz) in 1621 as elected Hungarian King.
GAB.D.G.EL.H.DA.CR.SC.R.
TR.PR.ET.SI.CO.1621
Gabriel Dei Gratia Electus Hungariae Dalmatiae Croatiae Sclavoniae Rex
Transilvaniae Princeps Et Siculorum Comes

Transylvania KM#120 (Standard Catalog of World Coins 17th Century)

In the 16th and 17th centuries the autonomous coins of the independent Principality of Transylvania were circulated together with the Hungarian money minted on the royal Hungarien territory.

Cibalia

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2007, 02:59:47 am »
That explains a lot. I shall watch for the TR on these coins from now on.

Offline irish

• Consul
  • Look To Cydonia Plain
    • fix the moon
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2007, 06:25:06 pm »
All Transylvanian coins of original source must bring a premium, in America especially.  Most of the rest of the world would have a hard time understanding the icon which Vlad II Dracul (?) has become here in the United States Of America. However superficial and horror filled, Count Dracula is second only to Superman I think, and though they are from different sides of the comic pages, Supe and The Count do share certain synchronicity, audience, and other commonalities which make them definitely iconic within the overall collective American psyche, at least at this time.

Here in the world where rock stars emulate gothic horror figures and fashion, even small children are indoctrinated from early ages to revere the Vampire Dracula via thematic cereals (Count Chocula) and kids shows (Sesame Street has its own vampire!), together with the oh-so-popular vampirical costuming Amok at all-hallows-eve....and do notice the number of popular Dracula movies or vampire derived box office successes (Dracula, Dracula Meets Frankenstein,  Bram Stokers Dracula, Dracula Does Dallas (Just Kidding) Queen of The Damned, Underworld, and counting!!!)  the time for Transylvanian coins is now, alongwith real history concerning the time period, and perhaps even enlightening snippets concerning Bram Stokers actual research for his classic book.

b

All coins are guaranteed for eternity