Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: rows of dots on reverse (bronze)  (Read 777 times)

Offline Matt W

• Praetorian
rows of dots on reverse (bronze)
« on: July 16, 2007, 08:00:46 pm »
I received this bronze  in my latest uncleaned from FORVM.  It measures 18mm, unfortunately I do not have a scale.

The obverse looks to have bust draped and radiate right, but the few letters that can be seen are not clear enough for me to read them.

Reverse has lettering under rows of dots.

I am at a loss.  Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks,

Matt

vic9128

Re: rows of dots on reverse (bronze)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2007, 09:00:06 pm »
the dots are parts of  legionary standards. Your coin is from Nicaea similar to the one below

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 10:07:00 pm »
Based strictly on the portrait, I would guess Gordian III, But That is just a guess.

Offline Matt W

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2007, 10:41:40 pm »
Thank you both for your help.

I found two examples (below, from Wildwind) of Sear RCV '84 # #2523 which is descibed as

Gordian III AE20 of Nicaea, Bithynia. M ANT GORDIANOC AV, radiate, draped bust right / NIKAEWN, two legionary eagles standing between two standards. SNGCop 526, BMC 114, SGI 3671.

Neither has such a prominent single dot between the two sets of columns.  Could this be a reverse that is not listed, or is it due to the wear pattern on mine?

Matt

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2007, 11:07:47 pm »
These are pretty common, probably among the most common provincial issues I would say. There is lots of minor variants numbers of dots, numbers of standards, with or without Eagles ........ I'm not sure if anyone has ever really made an attempt to Identify all the minor differences or not.....

Regards,
Jerome

All coins are guaranteed for eternity