Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: $750 flawed coin into $3500 EF coin.  (Read 35512 times)

Taras

Re: $750 flawed coin into $3500 EF coin.
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2013, 02:43:50 am »
I agree Joe, I would repair a bronze disease in my collection too. But this one has not been restored for the love of a collector towards the coin. Only four months passed between the two auctions, I think this makes clear the intent, purely commercial, of the (undescribed) restoration.

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #51 on: June 07, 2013, 03:52:48 am »
Exactly, and I think the honest way would be to scratch out the BD, treat it with benzotriazole and then leave the pits open so you can have a close eye on the coin in case BD should return.

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2013, 07:13:35 am »
Has someone notified the current seller?
Andreas Reich

Auer

« Reply #53 on: June 07, 2013, 07:00:26 pm »
I have. Let's wait for an answer.

Auer

« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2013, 06:51:29 am »
The seller has responded. Apparently he wasn't aware of those repairs as nobody has notified him until now. He is pulling the coin from the sale for now and may relist it in the future with a proper explanation.

Taras

« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2013, 09:57:17 am »
The seller has responded. Apparently he wasn't aware of those repairs as nobody has notified him until now. He is pulling the coin from the sale for now and may relist it in the future with a proper explanation.

???

http://www.acsearch.info/record.html?id=600019

The coin has been sold on september 2012.

Offline Rich Beale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nec Aspera Terrent
    • ROMA NUMISMATICS
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2013, 10:20:35 am »
Well, I find this all very strange. This coin was listed in our auction in Sept. 2012, and in the course of this sale we did notice the repair which was overlooked when the coin was originally catalogued. We bought the coin in, to prevent it selling to a collector. What puzzles me though is that I have never been contacted regarding this coin, and certainly not recently. Auer, I am sure that your intentions are good, but you leave me genuinely confused.

Auer

« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2013, 12:49:50 pm »
I am still talking about the coin that originally started this thread not about the bronze one. Didn't want to create confusion. I thought areich had asked about the current seller of the Tarsos stater.

Offline Rich Beale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nec Aspera Terrent
    • ROMA NUMISMATICS
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2013, 01:05:06 pm »
Thanks for the clarification Auer.

Offline paul1888

• Praetorian
« Reply #59 on: July 22, 2013, 11:41:24 am »
Hello,

I have found it interesting to read through this topic.  I think that established dealers and auction houses that I am aware of would not intentionally list or sell a fake or not disclose that a coin has been modified sine the most important asset they have is their reputation.  Their reputation is hard to establish and easy to lose.  There will be mistakes, which requires education on the part of a buyer.  As has been shown, mistakes by dealers are corrected.

The best route to ensuring the removal of questionable coins is cooperation between dealers and collectors.  This forum being a good medium to act as an adjunct to this end.

Paul

All coins are guaranteed for eternity