Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Silver Hungarian? #2 Need Help  (Read 1658 times)

Offline irish

• Consul
  • Look To Cydonia Plain
    • fix the moon
Silver Hungarian? #2 Need Help
« on: July 11, 2007, 06:30:44 pm »

This was sold as Hungarian Medieval Silver....on this coin the coat of arms has what appear to be an eagle in lower left quad, and cross of jerusalem in upper right quad (thats pretty clear) but i cannot discern what the other side is, being unfamiliar with these coins types... scale is in mm, any help greatly appreciated...i am ignorant of these coin types except as they relate to crusader issues, and I think this is later than crusades?  resembles some of the headed types of crusades, in some ways....b
Detritus, detritus, detritus...ad infinitum...

Offline Sap

• Consul
  • It's already tomorrow in Australia.
Re: Silver Hungarian? #2 Need Help
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2007, 07:54:35 pm »
It is indeed a Hungarian silver denar, late mediaeval or early modern period. The cross you see isn't Crusader, it's the arms of Slovakia. The obverse (?) shows the Virgin Mary enthroned, with legend VNGARIA PATRONA (or something similar). From the 1500's, these coins were dated - the date should be either above or on either side of the shield, but I can't make anything out.
I'll have to learn Latin someday.

Offline irish

• Consul
  • Look To Cydonia Plain
    • fix the moon
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2007, 08:13:32 pm »
thank you very much!

Manzikert

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2007, 09:54:40 am »
Hi Irish

The bird in the centre of the shield is a crow, and this is a denar of Matthias Corvinus, King of Hungary 1458-1490. One reference I have found suggests that the type with the crow in the middle of the shield was struck 1471-1488.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline irish

• Consul
  • Look To Cydonia Plain
    • fix the moon
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2007, 11:13:18 am »
Alan!  thank you sir, i hope i can help you identify some byzantine or crusaders some day!

b

Cibalia

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2007, 12:50:52 pm »
Manzikert is correct!

Offline somgabor

• Praetorian
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2014, 10:43:03 am »
This is a denar of the hungarian king Mathias (Mátyás, 1458-1490).
This type was issued between 1482-1486.
C2-2369A, Huszár 719., Unger 565.
Legends:
+M·MATHIE·R·HVNGARI
PATRON VNGARI

In the middle there is a raven with a ring. It's the sign of the hungarian royal family of Hunyadi.
The cross is not "arm of Slovakia" but one of the most important hungarian royal power-sign from the 12. century. It was taken over Byzantium by king III. Béla(1172-1196), first appearance on Unger 101 denar.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity