Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cypress AE Denier / Carzia / Sezin ?  (Read 992 times)

Offline irish

• Consul
  • Look To Cydonia Plain
    • fix the moon
Cypress AE Denier / Carzia / Sezin ?
« on: July 08, 2007, 02:38:07 pm »
hello everyone thanks in advance for help with this:

it appears to be a cypriot ae denier/carzia/sezin from later 1300's, like quite a few showing in my malloy book (Coins of the crusader states) though this coin has some variations which are confusing

i cannot nail it down

it has lion rampant left, tail is obliterated or obscured/unstruck, legend readable along side of lion seems to be + -- ERLM with the lettering being gothic type, L looks like backward J, M is bulbed, E

borders of designs both sides are solid not beaded

other side has cross with 5 pointed stars in all quadrants -- discernible lettering there toward bottom appears to be ULUP with the L appearing almost like a 2...these letters are between 6 and 10 oclock if i have it oriented correctly

there are a lot of cypriot crusader coins with lion rampant left, but the only coins with 5 pointed star in quads (That i can find) are issues of Bohemond III, Antioch, appearing only with fleur de lis...

b
Detritus, detritus, detritus...ad infinitum...

Manzikert

Re: Cypress AE Denier / Carzia / Sezin ?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2007, 06:11:49 pm »
Hi Irish

The reason the legend looks garbled is because it is in Armenian script, not latin: this is a kardez of (I think) Levon II from Armenia, see http://www.mehmeteti.150m.com/armenians/hs037.htm

If it had been Cypriot there would have been small crosses between the arms of the cross on the reverse, not stars.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline irish

• Consul
  • Look To Cydonia Plain
    • fix the moon
Re: Cypress AE Denier / Carzia / Sezin ?
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 06:29:18 pm »
Alan thanks!  it was sold as armenian but also sold as crowned emperor obverse, though the lion is plainly visible once conserved, and in fact it is an s shaped tail pointing outward, i have seen that since then

it does not show in the crusader coinage of levon II, which was th ebay attribution as well, but i am going to the link right now so thanks a lot

the darned bohemond III coins with the 5 pointed stars in fields around cross are almost exact, just another little bit of fun for me i guess

thanks again

b
Detritus, detritus, detritus...ad infinitum...

All coins are guaranteed for eternity