Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: ok, what emperor or emperess would you most like to have lunch with?  (Read 16522 times)

gavignano

I posted this one thinking about who I might want to dine with to discusss a little ancient history with (first person source of course), but hey, if you want to post up someone  because you think they are ddg (drop dead gorgeous) and like the romance, be my guest.......

I'm going to say someone who would be a predictable response, but I find this guy fascinating - Constantine the Great.  We would talk about everything from the Milvian Bridge to Fausta (carefully) to the Christenization of the empire, to his last days, to......you get the picture.
My second choice - just going by the fetching portraits - Otacilia Severa or Julia Mamaea. I can be shallow at times  ;D
Joe

Offline Ardatirion

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Veni, vidi, vomui.
Re: ok, what emperor or emperess would you most like to have lunch with?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 11:07:30 pm »
I'd really enjoy a conversation with Germanicus, despite the fact he never lived to become Emperor. I'd also like to talk with Antoninus Pius, partly because he's probably the only Emperor to really have the TIME to talk!  :)

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2007, 12:58:51 am »
I would probably have lunch with Augustus or Marcus Aurelius since they both were pretty bright and would have a lot to talk about.

Online Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 08:52:20 am »
Yes, I think Marcus Aurelius would be a good choice!

basemetal

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2007, 09:19:19 pm »
Since this is a kind of "thought experiment", I couldn't help thinking of practical terms in spite of myself.
To interact with a "real" roman emperor would be so terribly hard I think.  Interact is the key word here.
His answers would depend a great deal on his perceptions of you, whether he be real or a construct.
If you controlled the situation just wanted a talking head  and could make him "docile" and just a source of information, no problem.
For a real interaction, I speculate that first, you'd have to have command of the latin your emperor spoke.  Romans  were class conscious like almost no other people.  You'd likely speak it with a "foreign" accent which would make the replies guarded or not get an answer at all.  Your dress, demeanor, and that indefinable "air" you projected would be an important factor as well.
There was undoubtedly an accepted way to act around the emperor that has been lost to time.  Not necessarily totally servile, but not as an equal either. The questions you asked would have to be carefully phrased and some could not be asked at all. Don't bring up Geta to Caracalla for instance.
Were you to ask about slavery to even the most, by modern standards "enlightened" emperor in a way that implied that it wasn't just a dandy thing would bring incomprehension or anger at your impudence.
I'm not sure that any modern would even know the proper way to address the emperor.
Things we moderns take for granted like scratching our chins while thinking might be offensive.
A phrase that started with "About the empress" might be a form of quick suicide.
So many things a modern would ask would be met with "Why in the name of Jupiter would you want to know that? Why do you want to know how coins are made?  Everyone knows that.  Guards!"
And the almost irresistable urge to tell the emperor of future events might get you labeled as a "soothsayer" which some emperors had killed and most detested.
A challenge to say the least.
Bruce

Offline David Atherton

• IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
  • The meaning of life can be found in a coin.
    • Flavian Fanatic Blog
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2007, 09:33:36 pm »
Hadrian, and I would ask him what really was the fate of Antinous...among other sundry topics.

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2007, 10:29:00 pm »
On a politically calm and atmospherically clear day, I'd like to lunch with Galerius and Galeria in their lovely palace with its view of Mt. Olympus across the Gulf (which requires the clear day).  I know nothing murderous about them*, and the place is lovely.  At worst, they might not be scintillating, but even that is not something that I know.  Pat L.
*The fate of Demetrios, I daresay, was not personal but policy.

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2007, 11:15:29 pm »
Julia Domna, for various reasons. Maybe Marcus Aurelius too, as an excuse to meet Faustina II...
                                                        LordBest. 8)

Offline Salem Alshdaifat

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I am coincoholic ,I need help plzzzzz.
    • http://www.vcoins.com/en/stores/athena_numismatics
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2007, 11:27:11 pm »
Marcus Aurelius for lunch for sure, and Julia Domna for dinner and we might hangout ::)
Salem

AncientCoins

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2007, 11:39:25 pm »
I think it would be interesting to see how much of the various rumors about Elagabalus are true ::)

Also, I think Severus Alexander would be interesting to talk to.

Andrew

Offline DruMAX

• Caesar
  • Pecunia non olet
    • Cache Coins
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2007, 12:59:10 am »
Antoninus Pius and Marcus Aurelius...for conversation...but for a good meal go with Vitellius. ;)

Scipio Helveticus

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2007, 02:52:10 am »
I'd love to interview Marcus Aurelius and Julian II about the Stoic philosophies and the fortunes of war, something they were both well versed in.

Offline Bacchus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • http://www.diadumenian.com
    • Diadumenian
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2007, 03:44:41 am »
A. Gordian III to ask him for some of those nice medallions he had produced - and to ask him if he had any of his grandfathers denarii on him for swaps  ;)

B. Caligula - to find out the truth about that chest bursting scene  ;D

C. but it would be really Nerva (he lived throught some interesting times)  8)

Malcolm

Offline dpaul7

• Consul
  • Acta est fabula, plaudite!
    • FORVM GALLERIES
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2007, 09:44:40 pm »
Hi!

I would like lunch with Diocletian!  He was very intelligent; had humble beginnings, but reformed the empire as best he could. And he reitred!

Second, Claudius Gothicus.  He was very well respected!

Third - Regalianus - (Did I spell that correctly?) I would ask him where his coins are hidden! ;D ;D

dpaul7
Age. Fac ut gaudeam.
Aliena nobis, nostra plus aliis placent
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=17252

Offline DruMAX

• Caesar
  • Pecunia non olet
    • Cache Coins
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2007, 10:59:15 pm »

I would like lunch with Diocletian!  He was very intelligent; had humble beginnings, but reformed the empire as best he could. And he reitred!

rare indeed...What kind of man RETIRES from such a job :) It could certainly be that he was ill, still... most would cling on to power to the bitter end...his colleague of course was not of the same mind.

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2007, 03:28:35 am »
Caracalla, for Plautilla to realise how smart I am  8), so she can leave him for me (but it might be dangerous....)

Regards
Potator

Offline museumguy

• Caesar
  • I know nothing except the fact of my ignorance.
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2007, 07:49:55 am »
I'd pick Nero.  At least you know you would eat well.  Might be your last meal ....

Steve

Offline aemilianus253

• Consul
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2007, 09:44:00 am »
Cleopatra isnt bad..... ;D ;D ;D

Offline CANTANATRIX

• Consul
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2007, 02:58:50 pm »
Cleopatra isnt bad..... ;D ;D ;D

...if hook-noses are your thing ;)

I'd pick Augustus-It'd be very interesting to see his motivations and what made him tick.

As for later emperors Trajan or Hadrian would be good. Could bitch about the Parthians  ;D
"Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever." Aristophanes

"He is a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Offline wandigeaux (1940 - 2010)

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2007, 05:25:11 pm »
Hook noses, especially on brunettes, are definately MY thing!  Cleopatra for lunch (if such a thing was generally done), and Zenobia for dinner (apt to get very hungry in between meals though).  I just pray they would be gentle!  Fighting off the fantods, George Spradling 
Hwaet!
"The pump don't work 'cuz the Vandals took the handle" - St. Augustine
GET THE HELL OFF MY LAWN!!
(1940 - 2010)

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
  • This space intentionally left blank
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2007, 02:26:18 am »
Constantine would be an interesting meet.

Julian II, his story is pretty wild.

Theodosius I
SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

Offline berserkrro

• Consul
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2007, 04:48:46 am »
Maximinus Thrax (was he really 2,6m tall?) anyway, just because his personallity seems to be very interesting (a roman emperor who never saw Rome). He was also one of the eastern Europe emperors :D

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2007, 04:54:17 pm »
Vitellius.  Didn't he keep an extraordinary table stocked with delicacies and in quantity?  Who cares about his conversational skills, just enjoy the feast and the entertainment after!
How many dinners am I allowed?
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

gavignano

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2007, 09:14:21 pm »
Speaking of entertainment, I beleive it was Elagabalus who had a large amount of flowers fall from the rafters on his guests during a dinner, and came close to smothering them. I think I'll scratch Elagabalus from my list. Rule 36: Be careful having lunch with men or women who are cult high priests or priestesses - they may go overboard on the humor......

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2007, 12:43:42 pm »
It might be interesting to dine with Claudius, since he was an historian who had written books about Etruscan and Carthaginian history and probably knew a thing or two about recent Roman past.

I might give it a miss though, if mushrooms were on the menu, especially if they were being served by Agrippina.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

All coins are guaranteed for eternity