Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Constantine ID  (Read 1065 times)

Offline DruMAX

• Caesar
  • Pecunia non olet
    • Cache Coins
Constantine ID
« on: July 07, 2007, 07:53:31 pm »

I know this is a Constantine coin from Antioch, I am just having problems finding a match. I couldnt find a SMANB example and I was just wondering if someone could provide a RIC # or Sear # for this.

vic9128

Re: Constantine ID
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2007, 07:58:43 pm »
Your coin is RIC VII Antioch 86, issued A.D. 335 and rated as c2.

Offline DruMAX

• Caesar
  • Pecunia non olet
    • Cache Coins
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2007, 08:33:50 pm »
much appreciated...thanks for the quick reply.

wildwinds seems not to have an antioch RIC VII 86b listed :)

Offline ROMA

• Caesar
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2007, 02:48:17 am »
Ive noticed wildwinds doesnt have a lot of coins listed. Some that arent i see for sale quite often too... ive noticed very few of the coins shown come from auctions in the last few years. Does anyone know why this is? The examples i see are most often from ebay auctions dating from 99-01.
Adversus solem ne loquitor

Offline berserkrro

• Consul
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2007, 12:00:22 pm »
My opinion is that all these coins with Constantine are actually cois of his sons. The style is so different from the age of Constantinus that I cannot believe that he was striking coins close to these. They are very close (as style) to a period not belonging to his era. Especially those coins with Gloria exercitus...don't seems to be in the right period of time...

vic9128

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2007, 01:15:36 pm »
My opinion is that all these coins with Constantine are actually cois of his sons.

For your opinion to have any merit, you must completely ignore the GLORIA EXERCITVS coins with the names of his sons, like CONSTANTINVS IVN NOB C, FL IVL CONSTANTIVS NOB C, FL IVL CONSTANS NOB C.

Offline berserkrro

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2007, 01:27:40 pm »
:) With "C'? I mean caesar? I don;t think so. All of them were imperators too. So I don't have to be ignorant....:D

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2007, 02:19:43 pm »
It's literally 10 seconds of work using Helvetica's spreadsheets.
There's only one coin listed with 2 standards and SMANB mintmark.
I can't believe some people are still not using them!

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline DruMAX

• Caesar
  • Pecunia non olet
    • Cache Coins
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2007, 03:04:43 pm »
Dont know what it is...probably why I am not using them... :o

I use wildwinds and Coinarchives or Dirtyold coins lists to ID...

Now that you have mentioned the name I did a search and found what you are refering to...probably will be a huge help in the future. I seldom ask for ID help here...dont have a cow.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity