Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Volusian, temple of Juno  (Read 13428 times)

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Volusian, temple of Juno
« Reply #25 on: November 05, 2006, 07:21:56 pm »
Yes, things set up for Triumphs in Rome, things set up for Expositions, even assorted Tempietti in Landscape Architecture (viz., Garden Design), sometimes inspired by Stuart and Revett's Antiquities of Athens or the Ionian Antiquities and descriptions of the Aphrodite of Knidos in her monopteros.  Bandstands take their place among the Garden features, since in public parks they are that, as well as a place for the band.  Pat L.

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #26 on: December 28, 2006, 03:45:08 pm »
As a tail-piece to the opening antoninianus, which shows the goddess in her temple, here is Trebonianus's antoninianus with that seated Juno by herself.  The specimen is not a great die, and the legend has dreadful letter forms, but I had to have it to post here--and then I saw that it's supposed to be rare.
• 28 12 06 AR antoninianusRomeTrebonianus GallusIMP C C VIB TREB GALLVS AVGRev. Juno Martialis, std. l., holding grain ears (RIC says "?") and transverse scepterRIC IV:iii, p. 162, no. 35 (C. 46), where it is said to be R2, which I hadn't noticed when I bid--but I did read the poorly cut and struck rev. legend: IVNO MARTIALIS.
Pat L.

Offline Edessa

• Consul
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #27 on: December 28, 2006, 08:39:04 pm »
Pat, for what it’s worth, Donaldson seems to agree in Ancient Architecture On Greek and Roman Coins and Medals (Argonaut, 1966).  In his entry on the Temple to Martial Juno, he says: “When we take the whole composition into consideration, it does not appear improbable that this may be a tabernacle and statue of Juno, instead of being meant for an actual temple.  The varieties of the type are very numerous.”

Eugene
Eugene

Offline Potator II

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Error communis facit jus
    • Monnaies de la Dombes
« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2007, 06:35:59 am »
Hi,

I just found the following : [BROKEN LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN] which is a Trebonnianus Gallus provincial bronze with a temple on reverse which, I feel, is interesting in that discussion.
It is not devoted to Iuno but to Tyche. What is interesting is the comment, saying that the embasement of the temple shows carry bars. This would be signifiant of a travelling temple...

Regards
Potator

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2007, 01:54:17 pm »
Is 'temple' the best word for this, I wonder? If the image is designed to be carried, then any altar would have to be separate; I'm envisaging a temporary setup, or maybe even a case of an image intended to be carried in procession like a saint's image today. But maybe I'm off the mark altogether.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2007, 05:53:38 pm »
I believe we are going a little astray here: surely there is no indication whatever that this is a TEMPORARY structure, rather than an ordinary temple meant to last over decades and centuries.  I believe this is the normal assumption in all published discussions of the temple so far; discussions that can never surpass conjecture and reach a certain result, since there is no other evidence either for this temple or for a cult of Juno with the epithet Martialis!

It occurs to me that the garland hanging on the temple might be an indication that it has just been dedicated, like the garland on the Temple of Divus Augustus on the famous sestertii of Caligula.  One would have to look for further cases of temples depicted with garlands.

Pat's antoninianus has IMP C C not IMP CAE C in obv. legend, so is RIC 69, "Milan", quite a common coin, 43 spec. in Dorchester Hoard.  The Rome-mint version, with IMP CAE C, is a lot scarcer, only 2 in Dorchester.  Cohen confuses matters by including both variants under his no. 46.

Curtis Clay

Offline slokind

• Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2007, 10:56:14 pm »
Oh, I'm sure that the temple in question will always remain in the limbo, so to speak, where it's been.  We have no foundations for it such as a permanent stone building would require, we have no epigraphic or literary evidence for it, such as so-and-so having visited it or some else's having restored or destroyed it, or mention of a cult by that name earlier.  We do have the coins, with all their usual advantages and limitations (representations of architecture by non-architects).  The coins are certain.  On the other hand, I do not think we have to do a temple-simulacrum, such as the Argaeus-on-an-Altar may have been.  The only reason I posted the old photo of the Palace of Fine Arts in S.F. was as an example of full-size, truly architectural building that was built just for an occasion.  Now, we don't know that Juno Marialis's tempietto was one such, but we do know of arches and other structures built in Rome for specific occasions that need not have been aere perennius, and until we find a foundation or an inscription for the Juno Martialis, the plausible possibility of its having been one such cannot be precluded.

On the other hand, mea culpa, I didn't check the antoninianus at all carefully, and I am glad to have it pinned down.  Besides, it would be painful to think of a portrait die so bad as that one being 'rare'.  I just got it for a document, just as at Deultum we have both little coins with their Aphrodite and middle-bronze size ones with her in her temple.  Common is just fine.
Pat

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #32 on: December 27, 2007, 12:31:38 pm »
Another interesting thing about the seated JVNO MARTIALIS reverse is the nature of the object(s) Juno is holding.  RIC lists them as "corn ears(?)" and says in the commentary that they have also been taken for shears or scissors.

On Pat's coin, they look very much like shears.  On mine, below, from Antioch, they look less so, as the two parts of it separate only part way along their length, and both curve downwards, with the ends cut off almost square rather than pointed.  Also, on mine, the wrist is flexed, which I think indicates that Juno is gesturing with them, as though bestowing the essence of whatever they symbolise on whoever is in front of her.  This flexed wrist is also found elsewhere. I have examples of Pax and Cybele gesturing with a branch. 

If you look through examples on Coin Archives, you will find examples which are much more corn-like that either of these, and several which have three objects, which would rule out shears.  One such is shown below.  I think it likely that those which are not obviously corn ears are just badly copied.

Meanwhile, on the subject of the temple, the Dictionary of Roman Coins mentions "a temple erected to her honour as the Martial Juno, in the Roman Forum."
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

All coins are guaranteed for eternity