Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Arcadius?? AE4 Campgate  (Read 690 times)

Offline Ed Bear

• Praetorian
    • Ancient Coin Cleaning Notes
Arcadius?? AE4 Campgate
« on: June 05, 2007, 01:55:45 am »
Hi all - the obverse legend stumps me - it looks a bit like "DIV" but the part I'm reading as a "D" here looks a great deal more like a "Y" in the light.

If it is Arcardius then this looks somewhat like RIC 59 or 62 off Wildwinds.  I'm inclined to say more like 59 because there's a reasonably clear cross at the top of the gate which just doesn't show up here in the scan.  The coin is somewhat nicer than the scan looks - 14x11 mm

Any help would be appreciated!

Offline gb29400

• Caesar
  • Your life is what your thoughts make it ! M.Aurel
    • GbCollection
Re: Arcadius?? AE4 Campgate
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2007, 03:39:01 am »
reverse: GLORIA REI-PVBLICE
only struck in Thessaloniki

for Valentinianus , Theodosius and Arcadius
For Theodosius the obverse legend is cut  DN THEODO - SIVS PF AVG
for the two other the legend is uncut.

Regards
Guy

Offline Ed Bear

• Praetorian
    • Ancient Coin Cleaning Notes
Re: Arcadius?? AE4 Campgate
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2007, 02:31:02 am »
So Theodosius?  I seriously wouldn't have guessed that from what I can see!  Thanks.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity