Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Chidren or cornucopia???  (Read 850 times)

Offline Bamba123

• Caesar
Chidren or cornucopia???
« on: June 03, 2007, 11:52:59 pm »
I hope I haven't ever posted this one before, but I keep coming back to it and even though there is a lot of obverse and reverse legend, I have entered a ton of variations and still not gotten anything.

In hand the obverse almost has a female persona, although the scan shows what seems to be a male.  The hair is wavy and bare headed.  The reverse has a female figure standing left holding an rudder in her right hand and either holding two cornucopia or two children.  You can see what appear to be heads.

6.3g and 23.5mm

As usual I thank you in advance, Jim
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1844

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
Re: Chidren or cornucopia???
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2007, 12:41:20 am »
Geta, for sure; at one of the Apollonia cities.  I'll see if I can get lucky: anyhow Tyche / Fortuna is your reverse type, so cornucopiaPat L.
Lydia, I think.  Compare the portrait on Lindgren & Kovacs 713.  Also it just looks Lydian.  I reminds me of some at Germe in Lydia.  Quite a pretty coin.  P.L.

Offline Bamba123

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2007, 01:18:34 am »
I think you have me facing in the correct direction, checked some portraits of Geta on provincials and they are very similar.  The coin is a grey color and you're right it is nice looking in hand.  Good detail, but provincials give me a fit.  I am just not reading them correctly.  Thanks for the input! Jim
If all the world's a stage, I want to operate the trap door

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=1844

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2007, 02:39:02 am »
Here's one with a baby in addition to the cornucopia, making it Tyche Euposia.

And here's the original thread about it:
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/board/index.php?topic=34098.0

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Offline Dapsul

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2007, 04:50:28 am »
Seems to be Apollonia in Caria; rv-legend APOLLWNIATWN STRA NIKOSTRATOY; SNG Aulock 2492. Beautiful coin indeed.

Frank

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2007, 01:19:49 pm »
Yes!  I wonder why he didn't help us by giving as many as possible of the letters in the name of the 'strategos'.  Looking up Apollonia using Icard is a waste of time.  Now that Frank has identified it, some of the letters (beyond the -OY ending) do jump out.
Pat L.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity