Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gallenius from uncleaned group ID?  (Read 674 times)

basemetal

Gallenius from uncleaned group ID?
« on: May 25, 2007, 10:43:28 pm »
This coin just came out of the distilled water/gentle scrub routine starting around Thanksgiving '06.
I'm tentatively saying Gallineus with a stag reverse, severely clipped.
I was surprised at the detail on the obverse, especially the hair/beard.
Any confirmation, correction appreciated.
Bruce

black-prophet

!
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2007, 12:46:00 am »
I was thinking that this might also be an APOLLINI reverse with a centaur.But I than saw the  :Greek_epsilon: mintmark which is only on the DIANAE -stag or doe coins and a few HERCVLO/I coins with boar walking right .I'd say this is --->

Obv. GALLIENVS AVG -Radiate head right bust only
Rev. DIANAE CONS AVG-doe or stag walking right possibly looking backwards
Ex.  :Greek_epsilon:

If doe than it is RIC V pt I sole reign Rome 176-Gobl 728z
If stag than it is RIC V pt I sole reign Rome 178-

basemetal

Re: Gallenius from uncleaned group ID?
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2007, 01:07:15 am »
Thanks black-phrophet!
I looked at all that too, and on this coin I think I see antlers above the head.  This under high magnification.   
I was mainly impressed with Gallienus's beard and hair.  Wow.  Unusual to get a coin that has suffered clipping with such a muddy reverse, and still have the ingrown hairs  on the beard ahem...lol... extant on the obverse.
Ironic that just after this coin was struck he went off to get killed battling a usurper.
The portrait is also awfully human.  You can see a "police artist's reconstruction" of how he must have looked.
Thanks again!
Basemetal

All coins are guaranteed for eternity