Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Antoninus Pius and Marcus Aurelius Denarius  (Read 649 times)

Offline Rich Beale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nec Aspera Terrent
    • ROMA NUMISMATICS
Antoninus Pius and Marcus Aurelius Denarius
« on: May 25, 2007, 07:06:46 pm »
Another interesting find. Still sifting through last year's acquisitions and have come upon this one:

I can't attribute it - the obverse legend is not listed for this type, and the reverse legend is not listed at all (at least in RIC).
I would suspect a forgery, but it came with several other unpublished pieces which have been shown to be genuine.
Any thoughts, anyone?

Rich

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Antoninus Pius and Marcus Aurelius Denarius
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 07:08:57 pm »
Looks like a plated ancient forgery, with the copper core breaking through on Marcus' shoulder and in other places.
Curtis Clay

Offline Rich Beale

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nec Aspera Terrent
    • ROMA NUMISMATICS
Re: Antoninus Pius and Marcus Aurelius Denarius
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 07:14:35 pm »
Indeed, I took it for encrustation, but on closer examination it is in fact a fouree. Bleary eyes... thats what you get for burning the midnight oil! Cheers Curtis.
Have just weighed the coin, that confirms it.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity