Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Help to identify these coins please.  (Read 1789 times)

jalmvs

Help to identify these coins please.
« on: May 24, 2007, 07:00:22 pm »
Hi,

The first one seems to be Greek, the second one seems to be roman or greco roman.

Any idea about king, emperor ?

Thank you

Offline CANTANATRIX

• Consul
Re: Help to identify these coins please.
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 07:55:40 pm »
The second one is from Mesembria Thrace, it is a later issue probably from around 350 BC

http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/thrace/mesembria/t.html

SNGCop 657
"Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever." Aristophanes

"He is a wise man who invented beer." Plato

Offline Dapsul

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 03:56:42 am »
I don't know yet what your coins are, but I don't think the second is Mesembria. Wrong style, no helmet, the reverse seems to show a wreath and not a wheel.

Frank

Offline CANTANATRIX

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 06:46:27 am »
The obverse shows Athena which is a device found on later style Mesembrian coinage.

The reverse is a crescent shape and you can see the M at the bottom of it and the A and a bit of the T inside it.

See http://www.snible.org/coins/hn/thrace.html under Mesembria (2nd Mesembria down page)

Andy

Here's a pic:

"Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever." Aristophanes

Offline Dapsul

• Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 08:25:58 am »
Right; now, on another screen, I see the shapes on jalmus' coin better. Sorry for the confusion. Anyway, isn't the head of Athena (jalmus' Athena) somehow crude?

Frank

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2007, 09:09:15 am »
You know, I still don't see an Athena on this second coin, and the wreath seems to hold a text-legend and not just a collection of monograms.  Though the coin is quite worn, and we don't know the weight or diameter, I think we might be closer to this Antioch issue for Augustus:

[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

The first coin seems to be obverse Apollo, Athena reverse, probably a Seleucid, though I'm not sure which.
Temper thy haste with sloth -- Taverner / Erasmus.

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 09:21:21 am »
-- I did not choose a very good specimen of this coin for its reverse wreath; other specimens bear closer comparison:

http://www.coinarchives.com/a/results.php?results=100&search=rpc%20425+and+augustus

Of course this may not be the right reference at all; if this is the right reference, we'd expect a bit more obverse legend, even on a worn coin.

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2007, 10:10:54 am »
I know nothing about these coins, but for what its worth, I think that I can see a bow on the back similar to the ones found on the back of certain Alexander III 1/4 staters.

I could very easily be wrong, and I hope that I am not starting a wild goose chase  :-\

Offline CANTANATRIX

• Consul
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2007, 01:51:54 pm »
The coin is very worn and it doesn't help matters but I am certain it is a Mesembrian issue. It is defiantely Athena wearing a crested helmet not Apollo and whilst most of the'ETA' on the reverse is hard to make out that is due to the coins condition and coul also be due to a mistrike. The 'M' at the base of the crescent is visible as is the crescent itself.

Offline Jeff Clark

• Procurator Monetae
  • Consul
  • VOTA PVBLICA
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2007, 03:07:10 pm »
I see little doubt that Cantanatrix is indeed correct.  All of the information is pretty much there just like the example he posted.
Jeff Clark

Offline mwilson603

• Caesar
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2007, 05:10:56 pm »
Hi Jeff,

Not doubting you, Cantanatrix or anyone  :)  As I said, I know nothing about these coins.

Can you explain one thing for me from your post.  Why is your picture so different to Cantanatrix's if you are agreeing with him?  Aside from the "M" the other 2 symbols are completely different to what Cantanatrix has drawn from what he sees.  I'm confused  ???

I might just be being thick, but if I'm going to learn then you may need to explain in small words to me :)  (I've just come out of hospital and I'm on some great tablets, so I'll blame those)

Offline CANTANATRIX

• Consul
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2007, 10:07:50 pm »
For the lettering in the crescent I am not certain-what Jeff had drawn is more in keeping with what the lettering should be (in that order)so given the pictures I will not diagree too much. Certainly I have drawn what I've seen but from the picture the letters could be in a different order (there are Mesembria issues thart mispell META and put it in a different letter order) but nonetheless without the coin in hand it is difficult.

jalmvs

« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2007, 11:44:09 pm »
Thanks to all for the responses.

Definitely it has to be from Mesambria, the letter M, the semicircle over it and the dots around, all matches. I forgot to mention its weight and diameter, it is 14mm and 2.8gm.

Any idea about the first one ? It is supposed to be of a Seleukid king, 18mm, 5.1gm

Thanks again.

jalmvs

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2007, 12:04:50 am »
One more thing, I watched the coin closer and I think the next letter on the right is E like Jeff Clark said.

Offline Jeff Clark

• Procurator Monetae
  • Consul
  • VOTA PVBLICA
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2007, 08:57:51 am »
It is quite often difficult to tell from a picture what is a raised symbol and what is a different color in patina etc.  So, on a semi-worn coin you may see different things.  I can see the features that Cantanatrix drew, but I can see the ones I drew a little better.  Also, different computer screens make things look a little different too.  The coin in hand certainly allows for a much better viewing...but sometimes even so when I take a picture I see something a little different. 
Jeff Clark

Offline archivum

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2007, 10:28:46 am »
Since your first coin appears to be virtually the same size as the second, for which you give the specs, the first coin may well be this Antiochos IX Seleukid issue (a now-blocked online listing).

Offline CANTANATRIX

• Consul
« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2007, 09:34:00 pm »
Lol as it happens I've just managed to pick up an example of this Mesembrian issue on ebay.

Mines 18mm and 2.41g. Needs some cleaning but should turn out quite nice.

jalmvs

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2007, 10:18:14 am »
Thanks ARCHIVUM, that's it. Excellent!

CANTANATRIX congratulations for your finding on Ebay.

And thanks to everybody for your helpful responses and extraordinary knowledge.

Jalmvs

All coins are guaranteed for eternity