Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Crispis as Caesar  (Read 672 times)

Offline Marjan E

• Praetorian
Crispis as Caesar
« on: May 24, 2007, 04:12:54 pm »
Hello :)  I would like to ask the advice of experts before I commit to this.  I hope it is appropriate to ask here.  I would like to buy this Crispis, but it is in such pristine shape I am worried that it might be a fake.  Could someone take a look at it please and give me an opinion?  I am much obliged.

Marjan

Offline snorkelpaleis

• Caesar
Re: Crispis as Caesar
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2007, 04:16:41 pm »
looks genuine to me. Style is normal
Carpe narem

Offline Marjan E

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2007, 04:18:19 pm »
I think I found one like it on Wildwinds

Crispus AE3. 321 AD. CRISPVS NOB CAES, laureate, draped & cuirassed bust right / CAESARVM NOSTRORVM, VOT (dot) X, flanked by palm branches, all in wreath; AQS in ex.

Aquileia
RIC 87

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2007, 05:12:51 pm »
This is from Arles, not Aquileia. Mintmark is T*AR. RIC VII Arles 254.

The coin looks fine. It's not uncommon to find coins in nice condition, so that isn't a reason to be suspicious. In general you don't really need to worry about Constantine era bronzes, but it's good to pay attention to all the fake discussions to educate yourself anyway.

The Aquileia coin you are referencing would have palm branches either side of the X like this: \ X /

Ben

Offline Marjan E

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2007, 05:40:20 pm »
Thanks Ben :) 

I did subsequently find some without the inner palm leaves, but I was unable to read the mint on the coin I was considering.

Marjan

All coins are guaranteed for eternity