Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: roman tokens?  (Read 686 times)

mernumis

roman tokens?
« on: May 20, 2007, 08:49:18 pm »
left to right
21.5mm. 2.4g.
21mm. 3.4.
21mm. 3.4.

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: roman tokens?
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 10:11:10 pm »
I don't think they are tokens,  look more like error coins ( coins struck over another coin) in modern coin this is called indented or brockage,  not sure they use the same terms in ancients.

The indented areas are also too big to be countermarks

if you look at the third coin ( far right ) you have posted, you can see the lettering or ridge  from the other coin  ( circled in red)

all 3 of your coins are at least partially attributable

cheers

mernumis

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2007, 03:30:36 am »
hi,
i am new to roman coinage and didnt think these to be a striking error. but tokens. now as you put it it these are definitelly errors...  all three were unearthed in Cilicia region altogether. i would be glad if someone attribs. I also would like to know the market value of these if i were to sell. thanks for input... Frank.

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2007, 06:40:12 pm »
the first coin read  D N FL CL CONST  with the rest of the letters missing it give 2 possible rulers

1. CONSTANTIUS GALLUS 
2. CONSTANTINE II

by process of elimination,  Constantinus Gallus always has a bare head, so it has to be constantine II

the reverse is completely worn  so I can't help you there

coin  3 looks like constantius II ( I can read ntivs pf avg on the third coin )with IOVI CONSERVATORI on the reverse

coin 2 is probably the same as coin 3

as far as value  I honestly don't know,  they are very common in very fine condition

I hope this helps 

All coins are guaranteed for eternity