Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Gordianus III (VIRTVS AVGG)  (Read 1515 times)

Offline Francisco B

• Praetorian
Gordianus III (VIRTVS AVGG)
« on: May 20, 2007, 12:35:37 pm »
Dear friends:
I bought this Gordianus III coin and I knew that it had to be a fake, since the leyend VIRTVS AVGG (plural) does not make sense in the coinage of Gordianus III.
I am carrying out analysis of Gordianus III coins from my collection by EDAX (Energy Dispersive Analysis X Ray) and I desired to compare results among authentical and fake coins. EDAX technique let to know the components and the composition near surface of coins. Now, I am surprised because I have found similar components and composition in authentical coins and in this fake. Mainly I find silver and copper and also the same impurities: Chlorine, Magnesium and Oxygen.
As example I am showing below two EDAX spectra: left (fake) and right (one authentical coin).
Antoniniani of Gordianus III are not very expensive nor rare. Thus, I do not understand this meticulous work of counterfeiting.

I will be grateful any comments

Kindest regards

Francisco Bellido

Offline Molinari

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • My defeat, if understood, should be my glory
Re: Gordianus III (VIRTVS AVGG)
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2007, 01:32:39 pm »
It might be made with ancient metal.

Molinari

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2007, 01:46:08 pm »
Now, I am surprised because I have found similar components and composition in authentical coins and in this fake.

I think this shows that both coins are ancient. Ancient coins had a large number of impurities in them. Your "fake" might be a contemporary forgery or a die engravers mistake. RIC has quite a few "irregular" issues for Gordian, although not this particular one.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline Francisco B

• Praetorian
« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2007, 02:23:23 pm »
I should be happy if this coin was the result of die engravers mistake. I do not know. I hope to have an opinion in the future, when I will get more data to compare compositions of several issues and Rome and Antiochia mints. Thank you very much for yours comments

Francisco Bellido 

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2007, 04:31:25 pm »
I don't believe it is fake; you need to look for an explanation based on Gordian's time. Given that the two graphs are so similar, I would imagine that both planchets were prepared in the same mint, or at least from two mints using metal from the same source. Given that it looks official, I'd have thought an engraving error is most likely. The preceding reign was that of Pupienus and Balbinus, did they have any AVGG inscriptions?
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2007, 06:36:16 pm »
This coin looks very nice really and is in perfect style, also the surface structure looks beautiful. If this coin doesn't look ancient, I don't know which one does. And if somebody could deliver such a perfect fake, I don't think he would make such a goof as inscribing a Gordian III "Virtus Augg", nor do I think he would waste his time on Gordian III ants at all.

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2007, 08:15:53 pm »
Possibly a rev. die from a denarius of Gordian II Africanus earlier in 238, mistakenly reused for his nephew Gordian III as Augustus later in 238 or early in 239?

This would require, however, that the diameter of the circle of dots be only c. 18 mm, appropriate for a denarius of the Gordiani Africani.  If the diameter is 20 mm, then it looks like an antoninianus die from the start, and is unlikely to have been cut for denarii earlier in 238.

The only sure way to prove this hypothesis would be to find that actual rev. die also used for a denarius of Gordian II!
Curtis Clay

Offline Francisco B

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2007, 01:37:31 pm »
Dear Curtis:

I am wondered at your grand knowlegdes in numismatic. I think that again you are right. The diameter of the circle of dots measures less than 19 mm. I have compared it with my others antoniniani and it is the smaller. The others measure 20 mm or more. Many thanks. I was waiting for your opinion.
Also, thank you the others opinions.

Kindest regards

Francisco Bellido

All coins are guaranteed for eternity