Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Bronze Roman - Marcus Aurelius?  (Read 1145 times)

Pilot

Bronze Roman - Marcus Aurelius?
« on: May 19, 2007, 10:20:10 am »
Hello and thank you all for this great forum. I found it while searching for information on a Roman Coin I bought in a flea market.

Please have a look at my photos. (Click on each for a high-resolution version).

From what I have read in the forum, I think the coin is of Marcus Aurelius. I also suspect it may be a forgery.

Many thanks,
Costas
Athens, Greece

Offline areich

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • Ancient Greek and Roman Coins, featuring BMC online and other books
Re: Bronze Roman - Marcus Aurelius?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 10:59:40 am »
Hi Costas!
Your coin looks worn, but genuine to me.

Andreas
Andreas Reich

Pilot

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 11:16:13 am »

Andreas, thanks! That is good to hear!

I thought it may have been cast since I could see no "flow" lines from pressing. Some areas also looked a little "porous" to me, and the details are "soft". (You can tell I have been doing some reading, although obviously not enough ;)

So is it Marcus Aurelius? I could not find an image of the exact same coin anywhere.

Thanks again!

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 02:21:53 pm »
Yes, Marcus Aurelius as Caesar:

Marcus Aurelius As, 148-149 AD, Rome.
Obv:; AVRELIVS CAESAR AVG PII F, bare head right.
Rev: TR POT III COS II / PIETAS / S - C, Pietas standing left, holding sceptre abd extending right hand over child left.
RIC 1293c

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Pilot

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 03:13:08 pm »

Thank you very much!

Pilot

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2007, 04:20:58 pm »
Lars, since you pointed me in the direction of RIC 1293, I have been looking at photos on the net.

The 1293c you mention matches 1294 in my copy of RIC (there is no 1293c) and it seems to be this coin. There are some differences from mine (sceptre, Pietas leaning further backward), which matches 1293a better in this photo. (They also mention a weight of 12.6 grams which is very close to my 12.8 ).

The problem is that in the 1293a I found on the net, the letters "CAESAR.." are placed differently. Is a difference of this type common and expected? Or does it mean that my coin is not 1293?

I also found 1281a which is close but not a match.

Thanks again,
Costas

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2007, 03:14:47 pm »
Hi Costas,

sorry for my delay in replying, I have been away for some days. Yes you are correct, my RIC 1293c was a typo, and you are also correct that it is 1293a. Sorry for the confusion! I don't think the different legend break is important.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Pilot

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2007, 03:56:29 pm »

Thanks Lars!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity