Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Spanish (I hope) ID  (Read 2034 times)

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Spanish (I hope) ID
« on: May 19, 2007, 09:39:44 am »
Anyone know what this coin is? It was sold to me as a Spanish shipwreck coin, but it had no other information or provenence so I'm not putting much store in that.
I also need an ID on the bottom coin, also believed to be Spanish.
                                                                LordBest. 8)

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
Re: Spanish (I hope) ID
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2007, 09:55:23 am »
If it's any help, this is an 8 Reale of Philip I or II, from the Rill Cove wreck. 23.6 g, 36mm. They are sometimes called COBs (cut off bar).
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2007, 09:59:22 am »
Mine would certainly be the same size as that if it weren't clipped, and the designs do look similar. 
                                                                 LordBest. 8)         

Offline dpaul7

• Consul
  • Acta est fabula, plaudite!
    • FORVM GALLERIES
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2007, 11:36:49 am »
Your second coins has the design associated with Ferdinand & Isabella. How big is the coin?

dpaul7
Age. Fac ut gaudeam.
Aliena nobis, nostra plus aliis placent
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=17252

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2007, 12:14:19 pm »
24mm, also slightly clipped.
                                                         LordBest. 8)

Manzikert

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2007, 07:48:08 pm »
Hi

As the first is a 'cob' it must be of Philip III (it was apparently in his first year 1598 that the cob style coins were authorised) or later, and the M to right of the shield would make it Mexico City mint.

Your second appears to be a 1 real struck in Segovia (S and star at the sides of the shield) by Ferdinand and Isabella between 1492 and 1504.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline nogoodnicksleft

• Consul
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2009, 12:44:51 pm »
I recently bought a 8 Reale from e-bay from the Sygun Museum seller. Afterwards I was doing a bit of research to find out a bit more about the shipwreck and was happy to find that the coin had been previously photographed and tagged in a finds database on the English Heritage website. The coin has been cleaned since the finds database picture was taken but there is no mistaking it due to its irregular shape (see attached pictures).

http://ads.ahds.ac.uk/catalogue/archive/rill_eh_2008/index.cfm?CFID=3150369&CFTOKEN=39301183

All coins are guaranteed for eternity