Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Poll

Forvm Award For Numismatic Excellence?

Yes
18 (85.7%)
No
3 (14.3%)

Total Members Voted: 17

Voting closed: May 26, 2007, 09:08:09 pm

Author Topic: The Fitzwilliam Museum: Coins and Medals - Award Poll  (Read 2560 times)

Offline Pep

• Magistratus Optima Lege VI
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
Re: The Fitzwilliam Museum: Coins and Medals - Award Poll
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 06:02:58 am »
I didn't find this site particularly "user friendly" but on the plus side it is "Numismatically excellent" and a vast amount of material is available for viewing. So, with the latter in mind, I voted yes.

Alex.

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 01:49:36 pm »
If a site has things that we actually want and need and no garbage, as is true of this one, the odd notion of friendliness (to whom?) seems particularly inappropriate.  Clicking dozens of buttons searching for something worth searching for is time consuming and irritating.
Besides, I find this site perfectly friendly to me.  Pat L.

Offline *Alex

• Tribunus Plebis 2022
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Etiam Iovis omnibus placere non possunt.
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 09:37:00 pm »
If a site has things that we actually want and need and no garbage, as is true of this one, the odd notion of friendliness (to whom?) seems particularly inappropriate.  Clicking dozens of buttons searching for something worth searching for is time consuming and irritating.
Besides, I find this site perfectly friendly to me.  Pat L.

Ouch! ;D
To make myself clearer. The site's search function is fine - if you are looking for a particular coin, but not if one wants to browse a small section of coins. It is not the clicking of dozens of buttons, it is the typing of dozens of words in the search function that is time consuming and irritating. I would have liked a few more buttons to click. But each to his (or her) own, I didn't condemn the site, and in fact I voted for it, I only made an observation from my own point of view.  :-X

Alex.

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
  • The meek shall inherit the earth..so buy a meek
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2007, 12:22:28 am »
Its the primary reference for English Hammered finds and thus indespensible to me.  I think its excellence comes from its sheer size and completeness and the fact that someone had to load all that data up.

Deserves a good beer after work at the very least :)

Alex
'Never has so much been owed, to so many, by so few' - Mervyn King, Governor, Bank of England, 20th Oct 2009

Offline Cleisthenes

• Comitia Curiata II
  • Caesar
  • "not unlike a clamberer on a steep cliff," Newman
    • Swimmin' Lessons
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2007, 03:40:44 am »
This is an excellent resource/research site.

Jim
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
Nullum Gratuitum Prandium!
"Flamma fumo est proxima!"--Plautus
 :Chi-Rho:

Offline Pep

• Magistratus Optima Lege VI
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • My Gallery
Re: Closed Award Poll - The Fitzwilliam Museum: Coins and Medals
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2007, 07:43:34 am »
Here is a reply from Dr. Mark Blackburn, Keeper of Coins and Medals:

"
Dear Pep,

Thank you for giving us your Forum Award.  We very much believe in making information about our collection, our research projects and numismatics in general available to the public as widely as possible.  And so it is great to receive the encouragement of groups such as yours to make us think that our efforts are worthwhile. 

I'll take a look to see if there is some way in which we can include your logo on the site.

Best wishes

Mark

Dr Mark Blackburn
Keeper of Coins and Medals
Fitzwilliam Museum
Cambridge CB2 1RB
"

All coins are guaranteed for eternity