Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: DV CONSTANTINVS from Cyzicus  (Read 1098 times)

Offline silvernut

• Caesar
DV CONSTANTINVS from Cyzicus
« on: May 09, 2007, 06:41:13 pm »
Hi,

I just had to share this with someone because it made my day!!

I was emptying pots filled with uncleaneds that had been soaking in olive oil for months, putting most of the slugs in what I call my "Box of No Return". I decided to give a go at a totally encrusted LRB just because it was thick enough and probbing it with a pin the crust seemed to come off easily. Well, what a surprise!! This is what I got (sorry, I still need to buy a scan...):

RIC 54
Obv: DV CONSTANTINVS PT AVGG, veiled head right.
Rev: No legend / ·SMK:Greek_Gamma: in exergue, Constantine I standing right

Yes, what I would rate an almost very fine AE4 from Cyzicus mint, third officina.

I'm probably overexcited about this, but it's my first DIVUS of this type (yes, I have plenty of the "hands of God" type), and the way I discovered was totally unexpected, as if I had unburied it myself! So I guess the lesson for all of us that enjoy scrubbing crusties: NEVER GIVE UP ON A COIN!!

Regards,
Ignasi

Offline Robert T2

• Praetorian
  • I like ants & pantis (that sounds soo wrong)!
Re: DV CONSTANTINVS from Cyzicus
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2007, 03:22:49 am »
I'm probably overexcited about this, but it's my first DIVUS of this type (yes, I have plenty of the "hands of God" type), and the way I discovered was totally unexpected, as if I had unburied it myself! So I guess the lesson for all of us that enjoy scrubbing crusties: NEVER GIVE UP ON A COIN!!

Hi Ignasi, I know the feeling an it's why I like uncleaned coins so much. I have lots (far too many) coins in various stages of soaking and cleaning and many nice coins that could be ID'd before cleaning, but it's the ones that "reveal" themselves  after some hard work that are the most rewarding even if they aren't the rarest or most impressive of coins!

Good luck with your future cleaning efforts,

Rob
cheers, robonrome

All coins are guaranteed for eternity