Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Isis  (Read 36949 times)

Offline Aleph

• Consul
Re: Isis
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2021, 05:04:44 pm »
Is the consensus still that this is Isis?  Without the quintessential sistrum, the attribution still feels very odd.  Not knowing better, I might suggest this issue feels so much more like an iconography hybrid, something like Fecunditas with the attributes of Laetitia which would also fit the legend.

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Isis
« Reply #51 on: March 27, 2021, 11:15:54 am »
Is the consensus still that this is Isis?  Without the quintessential sistrum, the attribution still feels very odd.  Not knowing better, I might suggest this issue feels so much more like an iconography hybrid, something like Fecunditas with the attributes of Laetitia which would also fit the legend.

This is not my area, so I can't answer that, but it does seem strange that we might be expected to identify the figure as Isis without her having any of the attributes of Isis.

I just noticed this Severus sestertius, RIC 794a, which has an interestingly similar reverse - female figure (in this case holding corn ears, so more securely identified as Annona), but also with ship's prow and this small winged reaching figure - typically described as cupid. Is it known what the prow and "cupid" are meant to convey in this context? Could these elements have the same meaning on the Domna type?

Ben

All coins are guaranteed for eternity