Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My first Greek  (Read 1352 times)

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
My first Greek
« on: May 03, 2007, 09:08:08 pm »
Here's my first Greek coin that I picked up a local coin show. I was previously focusing just on Roman coins, but I could resist this large Ptomely, it actually looks pretty good in hard besides the countermarks. I am not sure which Ptomely this is but I think it is the 2nd. I would also like to know if $50 was too much, for future reference. And are ptomelic coins considered greek or are they in their own category?

Offline AlexB

• Caesar
  • The meek shall inherit the earth..so buy a meek
Re: My first Greek
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2007, 09:54:42 pm »
Hi

I think is Ptolemy I though could be II. The monograms to left of the eagle are on both I believe. The head looks a little chunky like a Ptolemy II though it is worn and that can distort the image.

It is heavily countermarked and worn, which is very interesting as a guide to the trade that this coin must have seen. What does it weigh as a matter of interest?

These are Greek coins though you will find many Ptolemaic reference works.

USD50? Is OK I guess, at that level anything goes.

Brgds

Alex
'Never has so much been owed, to so many, by so few' - Mervyn King, Governor, Bank of England, 20th Oct 2009

Offline Dapsul

• Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2007, 11:39:52 am »
The portrait is definitely Ptolemy I, but I think the coin was minted by Ptolemy II. Signs of use are interesting things, and the price is correct I think. Look at mine:

Best - Frank

4to2CentBCphilia

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2007, 11:55:54 am »
Here's my first Greek coin that I picked up a local coin show. I was previously focusing just on Roman coins, but I could resist this large Ptomely, it actually looks pretty good in hard besides the countermarks. I

Tee Hee, Tee Hee......welcome to the darkside..............Greek Silver  (Roman coins......"I am your father"). 

Nice start, you will probably spend more per coin than the average Roman, but just buy fewer coins.

In my opinion the Greeks were artisans of the highest level in coin engraving.

BR

Mark

Offline Howard Cole

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Elymais forever!
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2007, 05:06:36 pm »
Awl, Svoronos attributes your coin to Ptolemy I.  It is listed as Svoronos 256.  Frank, your coin has a different monogram and is listed as Svoronos 255, a coin of Ptolemy I.  Of course this attributions could have been revised since Svoronos wrote his work on Ptolemaic coins.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity