Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Western Kshatrapas  (Read 1989 times)

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Western Kshatrapas
« on: March 10, 2007, 05:17:19 am »
Though this coin is a bit special, it gives some idea about coinage outside of the "classical
world". Could you, please, help, with its identification

Manzikert

Re: Western Kshatrapas
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2007, 07:11:38 am »
Hi Numerianus

Vijayasena as Kshatrapa (yr 160-161, 238-239 AD). This coin is probably dated 160/238 AD, but I can't be certain.

Best wishes

Alan

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2007, 05:48:53 pm »
The seller attributed it to another satrap....
Can you read Brahmi?

Manzikert

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2007, 06:34:36 pm »
Hi

No, I can't read it, but the catalogue I use (Jha & Ragor, 'Studies in the coinage of the Western Ksatrapas') writes out the legend of each example they illustrate.

I got to Vijayasena by making a guess at the date letters behind the head (I say a guess, but though only the bottom halves are visible the first one had to be 100, as it doesn't have the little extra strokes that would make it 200 or 300, and only 60 has the same bottom curve as the second one), 160 gave me Viradaman (156-60), Yasodaman (160-161) or Vijayasena (160-172), and checking the inscriptions showed it to be Vijayasena.

Which other satrap did the dealer suggest?

Best wishes

Alan

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2007, 11:14:33 pm »
Yasodaman. I was sceptic about his attribution. Thanks for the help!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity