Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Cross surrounded by a legend  (Read 750 times)

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
Cross surrounded by a legend
« on: April 26, 2007, 03:41:24 pm »
Please, help with this A4:

black-prophet

Re: Cross surrounded by a legend
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2007, 04:22:46 pm »
This is Arcadius,Honorius or Theodosius II. The legend around the cross should be CONCORDIA AVG OR CONCORDIA AVGGG.The coin was minted from 395-408 A.D. I believe it is probably the latter because I think the exergue begins with SM in which case it can only be 3 mints Heraclea,Nicomedia or Cyzicus.RIC #'s will be RIC X 123-126 for Heraclea,129-131 for Nicomedia or 132-135 for Cyzicus.

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 04:38:02 pm »
Thank you!  I am sure that the exergue starts  from SM. 

gavignano

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2007, 10:15:15 pm »
Numerianus - that is  a super picture of an AE4!  How did you take it? How small is the coin?

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 04:50:11 pm »
The coin is 10-11 mm.  The seller was so kind to add  two  A4 as a gift to the main purchase.
Well, it is not unambiguously identifiable but  any of the mentioned possibilities  is
frequent.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity