Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Port of Ostia  (Read 1674 times)

Offline Merinda

• Consul
Port of Ostia
« on: April 25, 2007, 04:57:13 pm »
Dear All

The attached coin is current on display at the Nicholson Museum (University of Sydney) as part of an exhibition called "Faces of Power". I have tentatively identified it as RIC 178

The curator was interested in some more specific references for the coin (which is outside my area of collecting), so if anyone has references etc. for the coin I would be most appreciative

Regards

Allan

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Port of Ostia
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2007, 05:05:36 pm »
Hi Allan!

Please look at http://www.coinarchives.com/a/results.php?results=100&search=nero+and+ostia
There you find some historical notes too!

Best regards

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2007, 05:40:57 pm »
The Nicholson specimen is unfortunately just a cast of the Paduan, Klawans, Imitations, p. 44.
Curtis Clay

Offline Merinda

• Consul
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2007, 05:54:30 pm »
Thanks very much Jochen for the reference and Curtis for the 'condemnation' - I was suspicious (seems a bit soft in the details), but didn't want to make claim in an area I am unfamiliar with

I will pass on the bad news to the curator

Regards

Allan

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2007, 08:37:09 pm »
For this coin a decent cast of a good Paduan is not junk.  It is, of course, exactly what it is, but all it needs is a good label, about the history of Paduans and their enduring popularity.  It's not by any means a bad picture of Ostia.
Pat L.
P.S.  Add that the boats aren't very good, however.  Yet, for "Faces of Power", it will do.

Offline Numerianus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • I love this forum!
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2007, 05:07:19 pm »
How to differentiate between "Paduan" and cast of "Paduan"?
I have a very used specimen of this imitation  on which I do  not see
the casting seam...

All coins are guaranteed for eternity