Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: silvered Probus cleaning recommendations  (Read 1641 times)

Offline Johnny

• Conservator Princeps, Comitia Curiata
  • Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
silvered Probus cleaning recommendations
« on: April 06, 2007, 05:40:31 pm »
Can anyone give me some recommendations on this probus, The brown stuff is dirt, but the black stuff...?

Do i keep cleaning or leave it

and if I keep cleaning, what and how do you recommend ?

thanks

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
Re: silvered Probus cleaning recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2007, 07:41:50 pm »
I would use a toothbrush and then very carefully a toothpick. Lemon juice is murder for silvered coins. You can also just keep it in DW for a while. For this coin I would stay away from Olive Oil since it makes the coin hard to handle and it might damage the silvering.

-Awl

Offline Johnny

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2007, 07:51:55 pm »
Thanks awl, Just pulled it out of the oilive oil 

will clean it with alcool and place in DW,  I'll let you know how it turns out

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2007, 08:40:58 pm »
Its not the OO is bad or anything but it is a pain in the neck to remove, especially with the silvering. Once I had a bad experience with this and my silvered coin didn't turn out silvered  :'( .

-Awl

Offline Johnny

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2007, 09:13:49 pm »
Not A PROBLEM  dw works for me

Mark Farrell

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 12:35:24 am »
I cannot believe I am actually saying this, but I think your coin is a good candidate for cleaning with something like Gringott's number 1 -- the weakest solution. Even better would be the new Conservator Mix that Bruce cooked up (PM for source). I've got a dozen problem coins soaking in it right now myself.

I would normally go after the crusty greenies with a scalpel, but in this case, with the potential silvering in and around them, I'd prefer to avoid getting too mechanical. This means getting chemical. Distilled water will do it also. It will just take a lot, lot (LOT) longer.

Also, the brown dirt will probably be handled by whatever you use to get rid of the green encrustations. If not, you can eventually pick it out the the crevices later.

Mark

Offline Johnny

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2007, 08:32:21 am »
Thanks mark,

I think I'll take my time with this one,  it"s showing a lot of possibilities of being a very nice coin,

what's this conservator mix ,  and PM who?  you  or Bruce ?

thanks for the help

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • IMPERATOR
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2007, 10:07:00 pm »
Mark,

(Me again.)

So, Gringott's #1 has no adverse affect on silvered coins? 

I was about to boil a bunch of forum coins tonight in Gringott's #1 but found I am out of DW.  While sorting I took out two silvered ant, both speckled green and silver - one mostly green, one largely silver.  I guess I will toss those two back in for the boil once I get some more DW.

But, after the boil would you still leave the silvered in the mix for 72 hours or would you pull them right out?

Shawn

SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

Mark Farrell

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2007, 11:29:50 pm »
I've never had problems using Gringotts on silvered coins. I've got several soaking in some right now. I'd leave them in for the full duration.

Mark

Offline Johnny

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2007, 04:41:46 pm »
Thank you all for the help
and I apologise for the delay in my reply

All coins are guaranteed for eternity