Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Helena Avgusta  (Read 5233 times)

imperatorat

Re: Helena Avgusta
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2007, 01:48:17 am »
hi Gavignano.
Gavignano obverse no head of Constantine.Head of woman.a patent fact head of Helena.Coin is little 12mm.

gavignano

« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2007, 08:37:33 pm »
I think we mis-communicated.
I agree -its Helena on the obverse, no legend.
Reverse - Helena Avgvsta - a unique reverse legend.
The size of this coin surprises me - it is 3-4 mm smaller than I would have thought.

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2007, 12:47:30 am »
A nummus/centenionalis of this date (c.328) should be approx. 19mm, so the small size here is way off and indicates a half unit fraction - indeed quite a surprise given a lack of fractions at this date (previous had been Req. Opt. Merit. of c.317, following would be Pop Romanus - also approx. 12mm die - if correctly dated to the dedication of Constantinople in 330).

Ben

Offline Rupert

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2015, 02:53:28 pm »
May I please draw your attention to this coin:

http://www.sixbid.com/browse.html?auction=1923&category=39915&lot=1675557

Obviously the second specimen of this type.

Rupert
Ducunt volentem fata, nolentem trahunt.

Offline SC

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
    • A Handbook of Late Roman Bronze Coin Types 324-395.
« Reply #29 on: May 13, 2015, 06:56:04 am »
Interesting.  Very different hair style.  Appears to also be officina A but looks like a different die. 

Shawn
SC
(Shawn Caza, Ottawa)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity