Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Where can I get THIS brass brush?  (Read 4925 times)

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
  • This space intentionally left blank
Where can I get THIS brass brush?
« on: March 26, 2007, 12:38:34 am »
I got one long ago from somewhere, I don't remeber where. It has been the best little brass brush ever, I like it better than even the pen brushes, it is more delicate with a finer bristle. I think it is German, but can't find anyone who sells them. Its the green one in this pic...

Oh yeah, FYI - the large one is a superb brush too, its brass bristles are as fine as human hair! It does wonders for coins that only need a brief pass with a brush, though admitedly it is a tad large and unwieldy.  :-\

SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
Re: Where can I get THIS brass brush?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2007, 01:23:49 am »
For the large one, try looking for the brushes sold to clean suede shoes!

Bill
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2007, 01:48:07 am »
Thanks Bill, I really, REALLY need the little green one though. I can't find it anywhere and I've been googling for an hour!  >:(
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2007, 01:08:54 pm »
Found it!

Rainbow Jewelry Supply, San Antonio TX.  :)
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

Southbay

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2007, 02:42:12 pm »
What is it called on Rainbow's site?

Offline Barabus

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2007, 06:36:54 pm »
DOUBLE-SIDED BRASS SCRATCH BRUSH
Organized religion is the second oldest profession, and nowhere near as honest as the first.

Circus_Maximus

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2007, 10:06:49 am »
is that brush safe on bronze or copper leaving no scratches if used by a beginner mechanical tryer?

Mark Farrell

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2007, 11:47:31 am »
Scott,

Ok, I hate to admit this, but I have a problem with brass brushes. I like the idea of them, but even with the softest one I have, I invariably transfer brass to the coin being brushed. How do you avoid that (it is making me sort of crazy, actually)? I've tried being even more gentle, but no matter how soft I get, the transfer still seems to happen.

Confused in brush land,

Mark

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2007, 12:12:08 pm »
How do you avoid that (it is making me sort of crazy, actually)? I've tried being even more gentle, but no matter how soft I get, the transfer still seems to happen.

I've found that soaking in DW will eventually eliminate the brass residual, and so will a quick buff with a cotton wheel. If that doesn't work, save the goo and gunk in the bottom of a cup of rinse water and use it as a fine abrasive (!) on a toothbrush, make sure it is just the fine gunk, the grit can't be literally tactile, and polish off the brass traces using the mud as a rubbing compound. On a good, hard patina, a few more soak and brush cyclces using the nylon brush will normally remove the brass traces.
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2007, 06:58:00 pm »
Ave!
Scott,

Ok, I hate to admit this, but I have a problem with brass brushes. I like the idea of them, but even with the softest one I have, I invariably transfer brass to the coin being brushed. How do you avoid that (it is making me sort of crazy, actually)? I've tried being even more gentle, but no matter how soft I get, the transfer still seems to happen.

Confused in brush land,

Mark

Scott, you be hooked and hanged to admit to using a brush like this. Shame on you!

K
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2007, 08:22:11 pm »
I wouldn't want you to feel left out, Kevin, so I'll remind you that I use your brass brush too.  ;)

Concerning the chimp brush I so love, simple tools for us simple folk.  :tongue:
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

Peter Williams

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2007, 09:53:11 pm »
Not wanting to hijack the thread, but I've been kinda scared about using my brass (nic-a-whatsit) brush in case it strips the patina of the higher contours of the coin - or should I not use it *at all* once the surface begins to expose?
Any tips on the correct usage for these things?

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2007, 11:32:43 pm »
Scott,

Confused in brush land,

Mark

Mark,

Are you using the brush dry? I always use my brass brush under running water with a drop of dish soap. This provides good lubrication to help avoid damage to the patina, though there is still a degree of risk. I have never noticed this transfer of brass using the brush in this way, and I use a brass brush on 90% of the coins I clean.

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2007, 11:35:34 pm »
Not wanting to hijack the thread, but I've been kinda scared about using my brass (nic-a-whatsit) brush in case it strips the patina of the higher contours of the coin - or should I not use it *at all* once the surface begins to expose?
Any tips on the correct usage for these things?

I don't know about the Nic-a-thingie, but any brass brush will knock the patina off the high spots pretty quick. I use the brass brush primarily to reduce clays that won't "pop" off with a brass poking tool. Once I get down to patina beginning to show, its usually time to do the nylon brush thing and maybe a very careful workover with manual tools.

Some coins you will scrub the patina off the high points no matter what, even with nylon.

Oh yeah, I use all brushes wet as well, except in rare occasions.
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

Mark Farrell

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2007, 12:09:58 am »
Hmmm.... Almost always use the brass brushes under running water, but that drop of soap thing is interesting, Jerome. I will try that.

I'm with Scott on when to go brass vs. normal, patina showing is a good transfer point (though sometimes I've violated it on heavily patinaed coins).

Mark

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2007, 11:26:19 pm »
If I were you I would hoard them just in case you have trouble finding them again.

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2007, 12:46:12 am »
Ave!

From Scott:
Once I get down to patina beginning to show, its usually time to do the nylon brush thing and maybe a very careful workover with manual tools.

Same as me; although I use a Dremel SBBB, and always under running water, as mentioned above. Brass brushes of any sort work well to remove dirt/encusted deposites, just to see what's below. But once you see intact patina, it's time to stop and begin with manual tools.

Once your coin is as clean as can be from mechanical tools, you may/may not wish to use the brass brush again. Let the coin soak in distilled water for a day or two, then very gently, under running water, apply the very tips of the BB to the coin's surface in a circular motion with little or no pressure. Up/down is fine for brushing your teeth, but not for cleaning ancient coins.

Begin in the obverse open fields, using tiny circular motions; the smaller the better. This way, you'll not mar the coin's patina, trust me. Repeat on the Rx. Let the coin rest for at least another 24 hours in DW. Then return to mechanical cleaning as needed. At this point you'll need to use saliva to keep the remaining dirt into a flouid suspencion. Repeat as needed.

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 02:37:45 pm »
Last fall, I was using a 4 X 1 inch Brass Bristle brush with a handle, the kind that you can get at dollar stores. The pain was far from exquisite as I bent the bristles (imagine the pressure I was putting on the coins!) where they jabbed me under my nails or embedded themselves into the flesh of my fingers.  To this day, I fear AE4s.  Then I discovered Forum's Uncleaned Ancient Coin Discussion and my stygmatized fingers have healed.
Raymond
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Mark Farrell

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2007, 03:37:00 pm »
LOL!

Raymond,

Just wait until you begin cleaning under a microscope with a scalpel. I can personally attest that blood is not an effective cleaning agent for ancient bronze coins.

Mark

Offline Raymond

• Consul
  • I want to be a coinnoisseur
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2007, 03:52:36 pm »
tomorrow, I get a pin vise and over the weekend will be beheading brass safety pins.  What really helped was a magnifying light.  I'm still having a heck of a time attributing, I keep seeing or imagining CONSTAN everywhere, and the odd THEODO.  I can't seem to read the letters properly, maybe my coins are too worn or my eyes?!  I ask my son and he sees Ws!
That's why I like Greeks, more pictures, less reading!
Raymond.   
Raymond
(Tetricus is not a game)

Offline Jerome Holderman

• Caesar
  • My name is Jerome, and I am a coinaholic!
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2007, 09:20:29 pm »
Last fall, I was using a 4 X 1 inch Brass Bristle brush with a handle, the kind that you can get at dollar stores. The pain was far from exquisite as I bent the bristles (imagine the pressure I was putting on the coins!) where they jabbed me under my nails or embedded themselves into the flesh of my fingers.  To this day, I fear AE4s. 

Ha Ha Ha, I can certainly relate to this! Besides the occasional piercing, I also do not have to be worried about being identified by my fingerprints. I think I am on about  my third set this month ;D I keep grinding them off with the brass brush, and about the time they heal its time to start over and grind them back off,  ::)

gavignano

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2007, 10:43:01 pm »
I've used the nic a thing little brass brushes - as long as you go very gently wet, I've not had a problem (this is on common Constantinian family bronzes).
Re the dollar store brash brushes, oh boy! Even on crud covered coins, one slip and.....other posters have described the horror.
I gave a set of three of these to a friend (before I knew better), who bought a batch of nasty uncleaned. You know, the 60 cent ones. Unfortunately, in the pack were 2 brass and one steel brush. He thought, hey, on concrete like coins, why not use the steel. It did cut threw the crud. Unfortunately, he beheaded an Aurelian this way, and even had a litttle pile of metal by his brutal find. Not good.
Joe

jbaran

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2007, 06:59:35 am »
I cup the coin in the palm of my hand and brush that way.  My 'real' job builds up some pretty impressive calluses and this helps to keep them under control  ;D

Offline moonmoth

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
    • What I Like About Ancient Coins
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2007, 07:12:57 am »
Those bent brass bristles can be trimmed back with a pair of metal shears.  I don't know what the official name is, but they look like this.  Use them regularly and your finger-ends and thumbnail will survive much longer.
"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2007, 12:33:30 pm »
Concerning the large brushes with the long bristles, I only use mine for buffing a cleaned coin. No bristles get in my fingers (though I know what you all are talking about) because the one pictured has bristles so fine its like hair, I mean FINE. I have a hard time doing anything more than buffing with it, or brushing sand and mud, but that large brass brush will do very little to remove much gunk. It looks like a brute, but its a baby on coins. I generally avoid the dollar store brass brushes, those will embed themselves in your finger and strip coins.
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity