Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Unknown islamic coin  (Read 1073 times)

Daniele Bacolla

Unknown islamic coin
« on: March 24, 2007, 02:54:23 pm »
Hi guys, I´m new here ans would like to thanks all of you for the incredible work you´re doing!

Now, I start to clean this coin, the characters seems arabs to me. Any idea ?

Thanks in advance

Daniele

Manzikert

Re: Unknown islamic coin
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2007, 06:24:02 pm »
Hi Danielle

From the style and from the name of the caliph Al Mustansir (623-640 H/ 1226-1242 AD) that I can read on the reverse I would guess that it is a fractional dirhem of one of three Ayyubid sultans, Al Kamil 615-635 H/ 1218-1237 AD), Al Adil II (635-637 H/ 1237-1239 AD) or Al Salih Ayyub (637-647 H/ 1239-1249 AD).

If you post the other side of the coin I should be able to tell you which of these it might be.

Best wishes

Alan

Daniele Bacolla

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2007, 08:37:04 am »
The photo is very dark. Unluckily I don´t have here with me the right equipment, but hope you can see something.
The back of the coin:

bakkar

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2007, 09:32:16 am »
I can read "al-Malik al-salih" on the other other side of the coin.
This will make it, as Alan suggests, to a fractional dirhem of the Ayyubid
Al Salih Ayyub. You can see your coin below after some work on it.

Best wishes
Bakkar

Daniele Bacolla

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2007, 11:23:43 am »
Thank you Manzikert and Bakkar! So, I can see is silver...good!
Could you tell me the medium price I could ask for it? I would like to sell it...

Thanks again and best regards

Daniele

All coins are guaranteed for eternity