Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Probus mintmark?  (Read 2961 times)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
Probus mintmark?
« on: May 21, 2003, 08:05:43 am »
Can anyone identify the mint for this Probus CLEMENTIA TEMP? KA (Greek equivalent of XXI) in exurge, crescent moon in lower field.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline LordBest

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re:Probus mintmark?
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2003, 08:10:12 am »
It would seem its Tripolis, KA in ex with a symbol in the fields. IF it wasSerdica, the other mint to use KA there woudl be a letter following the KA. Stylistically it certainly could be Tripolis and i have seen other Tripolis mint Probus with exactly the same reverse. :)
So, im certain its Tripolis.
                                       LordBest. 8)

Offline Robert_Brenchley

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Honi soit qui mal y pense.
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2003, 01:13:13 pm »
Thanks.

Ps Once I knew where to look I tracked it down at www.probvs.info. Good site if you don't know it. RIC 928, 1st emission.
Robert Brenchley

My gallery: https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=10405
Fiat justitia ruat caelum

Offline cscoppa

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • It's off to the races!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2003, 10:20:27 pm »
I'll quote from Doug Smith's web page which can be linked to from the probus page talked about in a previous post.

"The mark XXI, the Roman numeral for 21 or 20:1, was translated into Greek the numerals KA (=20+1) at some eastern mints. This antoninianus of Probus was produced at Serdica by the fourth ( follows KA) officina. What is unusual about this coin is that while most coins of Serdica bore no city mark, this shows MS (moneta Serdicae) in the field. This is similar to the common Cyzicus use of MC or CM. This particular type showing Victory and the Emperor is not listed in RIC. A few other reverses, however, do show this style mintmark. Recent hoards found in the area of the Eastern Empire are making the discovery of new types a common occurrence."
Chip

PECVNIAE IMPERARE OPORTET NON SERVIRE
Money should be mastered, not served.
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=12

All coins are guaranteed for eternity