Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Antioch provincials - Delta + Epsilon  (Read 1265 times)

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Antioch provincials - Delta + Epsilon
« on: March 19, 2007, 10:03:45 am »
I've noticed, that a number of Antioch provincial types seem to consistently seem to have the letters Delta & Epsilon in the reverse field, and wonder if anyone could explain the meaning?

There's a couple of types on Coin Archives here:

http://www.coinarchives.com/a/results.php?results=1000&search=philip+AND+antioch+AND+tyche

I'm wondering if this may be related to the later use of D+E in place of Theta as an officina designator (usually explained as being due to superstition - theta being associated with thanatos = death), which only occured at Antioch.

Ben

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
Re: Antioch provincials - Delta + Epsilon
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2007, 10:47:29 am »
Citing Pat, I think: D E would be for Demosia Exousia, Greek (even today) for Public (hence Tribunician) Power.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2007, 11:36:12 am »
Thanks, Lars!

Do you happen to know if any other mints also used this, of if there's any particular reason it might have been used at Antioch?

Ben

Mark Farrell

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2007, 12:01:38 pm »
Yes,  :Greek_Delta: E was also used on some coins minted at Laodicea ad Mare.

There is a really good explanation, or more accurately exploration, regarding the potential meaning of  :Greek_Delta: E in Butcher's Coinage of Roman Syria. See pages 233-235.

To summarize, Butcher argues (sorry Lars!) that  :Greek_Delta: E probably does not represent tribunician power :Greek_Delta: ( :Greek_Delta: H M A P X I K H  :GreeK_Sigma: ) E ( xi O Y :GreeK_Sigma: I A  :GreeK_Sigma: ) because at Antioch  :Greek_Delta: E also appears on coins that that do not display the image of the emperor (who held the TR P power), but also on tetradrachms of Otacilia Severa and Herennia Etruscilla. He notes that the first appearance of  :Greek_Delta: E is on Antiochene civic coins portraying a bust of Tyche or a portrait of Lucilla. Clearly, these women did not hold tribunician power. Furthermore, the letters also do not appear on SC bronzes of Commodus, who did hold it.

Butcher proposes that  :Greek_Delta: E means  :Greek_Delta: E ( :Greek_Pi: A P X E I  :Greek_Omega: N) or "of the four eparchies" and is related to the imperial cult at Antioch (and later at Laodicea). His argument is interesting, but deeply involved.

I would be happy to email people a scan of the three pages involved in his discussion, though I won't be able to until tonight. Please send me your email via a PM and I'll send the pages later today.

Mark

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2007, 12:52:29 pm »
This seems like niggling, but  :Greek_Delta: E in the field seems to me (and also I take Butcher's point) not part of the titles held by the emperor represented.  Also, even if space was short, they'd try to get at least  :Greek_Delta:  E xi (there's no xi up there to click on!).  If I saw  :Greek_Delta: E along with Y :Greek_Pi: , with or without a letter-numeral, in the circumferential legend, then, yes, I'd read it for TR POT--but not in the field.  Anyway, Butcher may be dull reading, but it's his field and he really knows it, so I'd yield to him, in any case.  Pat L.

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2007, 02:58:05 pm »
Thanks, Mark - I've just PM'd you!

Ben

Mark Farrell

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2007, 04:11:06 pm »
Got it, Ben. Later tonight.

Pat -- I don't want people to think that Kevin Butcher is a poor writer -- I actually like how he writes. It's pleasant. He just takes a conscious effort to explore both sides of a proposed meaning. Just for the record, grin.

Mark

All coins are guaranteed for eternity