Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Lucius Verus from Ephesus  (Read 782 times)

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
Lucius Verus from Ephesus
« on: March 17, 2007, 07:08:34 pm »
I tried to find a listing for this Lucius Verus from Ephesus, AE34, 24.55 g. Sear, GIC, lists an AE38 for Verus, describing the reverse as follows: "M. Aurelius and L. Verus, togate, stg. facing each other, sacrificing over altar behind which stands the cultus-statue of Ephesian Artemis." I don't see an altar on my coin, however, and the legends given by Sear, AY KAI LOYKIOC AYP OVHPOC on obverse and DIC NEWKO PRWTWN ACIAC / EFECIWN on reverse do not seem to fit either. Last but not least, the difference in size also supports my impression that this is a different type. If that is true, does anybody have a listing for it?

No similar coin in SNG Leypold, SNG Righetti, Lindgren, Imhoof-Blumer KM.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
Re: Lucius Verus from Ephesus
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2007, 05:34:27 pm »
Lars,

This coin comes from the Mabbott Sale, Hans M. F. Schulman, NYC, 6-11 June 1969, lot 1489.

RPC temp. 9819 cites this identical coin, Mabbott 1489, but with four errors: diameter 36 mm (the plate shows 34 mm, which you also give), allegedly stags either side of Diana, the emperors are said to be "holding pateras", and "authenticity doubtful", although the coin seems clearly authentic.

RPC reads ...EFECIWN only from the rev. legend, but the legend must clearly have been the same as on a coin of Marcus Aurelius in the ANS coll., RPC 3553,

AVP MITWN...KAI...ANCOY PRW EFECIWN NEOK.... 

Rev. apparently same type as yours, it would be nice to be able to compare the dies, but unfortunately no ill. in the online RPC!
Curtis Clay

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2007, 06:50:38 pm »
That is very interesting information, thank you! The coin comes from a CNG provincial lot. I don't have it in hand, but it looks like your legend proposal is correct. I will contribute the picture to the online RPC.

Yours
Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2007, 06:56:51 pm »
From the Garth R. Drewry Coll., I would guess?
Curtis Clay

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2007, 07:01:25 pm »
That is quite possible, but I can't confirm it as it was my partner who purchased the lot.

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

All coins are guaranteed for eternity