Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Smyrna bronze  (Read 1094 times)

Offline dmay

• Praetorian
Smyrna bronze
« on: March 15, 2007, 10:59:01 pm »
Not certain about the identification of this coin.  It came with an old ticket that said "Ionia, Smyrna (Imperial Times) AE 21."  The object on the reverse?  Perhaps an altar?  On the obverse would this be ________?  Unfortunately I do not have access to BMC but it also indicates on the ticket BMC 156.

Thanks for any help.

David

kerux

Re: Smyrna bronze
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2007, 08:24:19 am »
Perhaps Mopsos, Cilicia?

[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Joe W.

Mark Farrell

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2007, 11:25:21 am »
The altar on the reverse makes me think of Antioch ad Orontem. I've got a very similar coin but it has a bust of Tyche on the obv. It was an autonomous issue around the time of Nero. I think there was an issue of this type reverse under Galba or Otho (in that time frame, at least) that had a different obv.

Will check and update shortly.

Mark

Mark Farrell

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2007, 11:42:48 am »
Can you please confirm the size? Is it actually 21 mm? Also, are there letters behind the bust?

If the size is right, and there are letters on the obv, then it is not the coin I thought it was, which is RPC I 4322, AE 16, 5.4 g, civic series of Antioch, Syria, AD 68-9, under Galba and Otho (year 117 of Antioch). Laureate head of Zeus, r. Garlanded and lighted altar; in exergue (off flan) ET ZIP.

Here's a photo of the coin I think it is, however it is not this coin for certain if there is a legend on the obverse. The size may be a bit of a problem, so please confirm the diameter and weight, if you can.

Mark

Offline dmay

• Praetorian
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2007, 01:37:20 pm »
Thanks for the possible identification for this coin.  It is actually 16 mm and the weight is 5.5g.  It certainly looks like 4322.  However it does have a legend on the obverse to the left of the bust.  It is difficult to make out but I can see a sigma then a tau or gamma.

David

Offline Jay G

• Consul
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2007, 08:08:45 am »
it appears that there is evidence of an obs inscription on the b & w photo as well.

Mark Farrell

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 11:42:45 am »
Very interesting! Butcher identifies an obverse incription around Zeus' bust of ANTIOXEWN. Further, there are three reverses, as below:

i. no dot
ii. dot above exergue line
iii. dot in field to right of altar

I just re-checked RPC and there is no legend noted! That's what I get for not cross-checking my references.

I don't believe I see a dot on your reverse, so it is Butcher 159.i, rated C for common. If there is a dot that fits for either ii or iii above, the coin would be rated R for rare. And it is certainly RPC I, 4322, as well.

Nice coin,

Mark

Offline dmay

• Praetorian
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 01:07:46 pm »
Mark,

Thanks for the help.  Knowing the legend was extremely helpful.  By holding the coin in the light and catching the angle, I can see the ANTIOX on the left of the bust.  Interestingly, the EWN is directly beneath the bust in the little squared area.  On the reverse I can also make out the the top of the ET ZIP.  As much as I turn it in the light, however, no dots. 

Thanks for all your help.  I am most grateful.

David

Mark Farrell

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 01:23:18 pm »
Sorry for my confusion before -- my take away is to check all my available references!

All coins are guaranteed for eternity