Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Green/Red Deposit on Constantine I Argenteus  (Read 1420 times)

Offline Minos

• Caesar
Green/Red Deposit on Constantine I Argenteus
« on: March 09, 2007, 05:19:26 pm »
Hello! Would there be an easy and gentle way to remove the green/red spot on this argenteus. Tried softly with a toothpick without any success. Would rather keep it this way if there's no risk free way to do it but was wondering if somebody had some tricks to share. Thanks!

Offline awl

• Comitia Curiata
  • Caesar
Re: Green/Red Deposit on Constantine I Argenteus
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2007, 06:36:35 pm »
Try a pin vise it is harder and more precise than a toothpick and they can last awhile.

Mark Farrell

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2007, 07:54:16 pm »
Be VERY careful cleaning this coin mechanically -- it's my understanding that argenteus had a very high silver content (can someone confirm this?), so it may be better to clean it chemically. Very high silver content coins can get dinged pretty easily.

Try short soaks in lemon juice, say 1-2 min, increasing up to 5 mn. Stop if the coin begins to discolor or otherwise get funky. After each soak, brush gently with a nylon bristle brush.

Do NOT leave coin unattended in the lemon juice for more than a minute or two -- you want to watch it pretty carefully, even if the coin is indeed an argenteus.

Report back and let us know how it goes, if you don't mind.

Mark

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 08:04:39 pm »
I don't know what it means for the recommended cleaning method, but this type is what's sometimes referred to as a pseudo-argenteus. It's made of an alloy of 75-80% copper (or bronze) and 20-25% silver.

Ben

Mark Farrell

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2007, 08:08:13 pm »
Aha! That makes a BIG difference. Do NOT use lemon juice! Thanks for the head's up, Congius.

Try picking the green deposits off mechanically then -- the lemon juice may pit the surface more and/or make the surface more of a copper color. Use a very thin needle to very gently pick the deposits off the surface -- you will need some type of magnifying glass for this. Be careful, though, as the needle can really scratch the coin.

Othewise, you could try soaking the coin in Gringott's #1 for a few hours to see if it loosens the green stuff.

Post an update to keep us informed!
Mark

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 09:54:15 pm »
Ave!

Looks more like a silvered Ae 3 to my eyes, but I'm no expert. If it was an argenteus, it would be silver, and we wouldn't see the copper encrustations leaching through the silvering on the Rx. Hmmmm?

The Obv is done. A DDDP #1 will easily remove the green on the Rx in about five minutes time. No lemon juice, please.

Kevin
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

vic9128

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2007, 10:05:20 pm »
Looks more like a silvered Ae 3 to my eyes,

As Ben said, this is a billon coin. It is roughly 25% silver, and 75% bronze.

Offline Minos

• Caesar
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 02:10:50 pm »
Thanks for the feedback. As others pointed out, this is a billon argenteus, so a quite low silver content wich explain the green/red encrustations.

@Kevin

Could you tell me what DDDP #1 is and where to get it?

All coins are guaranteed for eternity