Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Met Museum, New York - Roman & Greek opening April 20th  (Read 3164 times)

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Met Museum, New York - Roman & Greek opening April 20th
« on: March 07, 2007, 09:08:00 am »
The Metropolitan museum in New York is finally opening their new Greek and Roman galleries, which have been five years in the making, on April 20th....quite a lot of detail in the press release.

http://www.metmuseum.org/press_room/full_release.asp?prid={54983C17-7E89-4675-BD37-F73944D874F2}

Edit: That seems to only be a temporary link, but you can find the press release by searching the press archives the link takes you to for "roman", then scroll down to the "new greek and roman galleries" one.

No mention of the huge Constantaine bust in Met collection which has not been on display for a number of years, but presumably it'll be part of the new exhibit - something I particularly want to see.

Ben

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
Re: Met Museum, New York - Roman & Greek opening April 20th
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2007, 08:08:51 am »
I went to see the new Roman & Greek galleries at the Met yesterday, and they are very impressive. Highly recommended for anyone visiting New York.

Just as a taster, here are a few pictures.

Sarcophagus with Dionysos on his panther

The Three Graces

(continued)

Offline Heliodromus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2007, 08:15:02 am »
Large gold medallion (4.5 aurei?) of Constantius I and Galerius as caesasrs.

Obv: DD NN Constantio Et Maximiano Nobb Caess
Rev: Pricipvm Ivventvtis
Exe: P ROM

c. 293AD

I couldn't find it in RIC or Depeyrot.

Or, proving that Forvm members collections are museum quality, here's arizonarobin's Ludi Saeculares hippo type. The coin to the right of it (Laetitia Temporvm) also commemorates the same games, and is interesting since it records an event at the games thas was also recorded by Dio Cassius. Read the description for the same type in gold on Coin Archives:

[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]

Ben

Coin_Fan_Blue_Hens

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2007, 12:37:43 pm »
I enjoyed this exhibit very much. I went with my father a few weeks ago, and we had a great time. Of course, I was fascinated by the coins (which can be found all over the place), as well as the chariot on the second floor, and Persian treasures. I recommend this exhibit to everybody! :)

All coins are guaranteed for eternity