Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: PHILIPPVS II - OTD  (Read 786 times)

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
PHILIPPVS II - OTD
« on: March 02, 2007, 05:40:18 pm »
Hi
I put this portrait of prince child because I look it work of excellent engraver.   
Is it  mannerist portrait   of the 3° century ?  or not ? 
Your opinions are pleasant.
Thank

M IVL PHILIPPVS CAES
PRINCIPI IVVENT
RIC IV (Part 3), Rome 255a
Cohen 55

ser   

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
Re: PHILIPPVS II - OTD
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2007, 11:32:57 pm »
That is a nice a more realistic portrait of the young man!

Best, Noah

Offline Diederik

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem, vita brevis est!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2007, 02:58:06 pm »
I would not call this picture 'manneristic' as that word suggests that a certain non-realistic aspect was intently added to the picture, as that was the fashion then. This lovely portrait should be seen in the very long Greco-Roman tradition of sculpture and, indeed, would be pinned down by experts to belong to the third century.
If I were to meet prince Philippus tomorrow, I would at once recognize him from this portrait, which would be extremely difficult in the case of Galerius or Maximinus, as their portraits WERE done in a manneristic way!

Treasure your coin!

Frans

Offline Rugser

• Deceased Member
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 01:59:21 pm »
Thanks a lot Noah & Frans
Regards

ser

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 07:07:02 pm »
Frans, you stated what I was thinking...except more eloquently and thoroughly!  Good  comment... :)

Best, Noah

All coins are guaranteed for eternity