Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. 10% Off Store-Wide Sale Until 2 April!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: constantinus I ? Trier  (Read 671 times)

Offline tenrec

• Praetorian
constantinus I ? Trier
« on: February 24, 2007, 03:05:35 pm »
... CONSTA-NTIN...

VICTORIA...   on shield VOT PR.

in ex STR

Offline Noah

• Caesar
  • Viva Brasil! Pátria Amada!!
Re: constantinus I ? Trier
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2007, 09:45:52 pm »
It is definitely Constantine I from Trier (STR), although I am uncertain of the exact attribution.  Typically the shield on the altar has the inscription VOT/PR, but yours is either really worn or has another inscription altogether.

Best, Noah

Offline tenrec

• Praetorian
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 12:59:07 pm »
continuation...     

15 mm

IMP CONSTA-NTINVS AVG

VICTORIA LAETAE PRINC PERP

VOT PR

STR

vic9128

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2007, 01:47:13 pm »
it is hard to be sure, but your coin might be barbarous. The reverese looks fairly crude (it is not really clear though). The reverse legend doesn't seem to be right and it doesn't look like VOT PR on the shield. RIC also does not list a D6 bust for this obverse legend for the STR exergue, but it is possible to find unlisted types; but coupled with the discrepancies with your coin, I would be inclined to call yours an imitation.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity