Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Nero AE Sestertius Proto-Contriate  (Read 704 times)

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
Nero AE Sestertius Proto-Contriate
« on: February 23, 2007, 09:31:40 pm »
Dear Friends

Below you see a proto-contriate (I hope I spelled this correctly).

I know just a little about them. Has anyone ever done some work on them? Are there any publications and would this coin be published somewhere in its current state? How were these made and why? I only now that these were made long after the depicted emperor died and were handed out as medals of some sort. I cant say I am certain on this. I would appreciate it if some other members could show me more images of these.

Best wishes,
Burak

Offline Tiathena

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit
Re: Nero AE Sestertius Proto-Contriate
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2007, 10:56:48 pm »

Ave Burak,

Perhaps you mean to inquire about Contorniate Coins?
  If so and you haven’t yet, it is I think a quite interesting explanation here in Numiswiki –   Contorniate Coins.

If you’ve meant something else, please forgive my ignorance.

Best,
    Tia

Note Edit: Sorry for the bad link there... I think it should work now.
  Thanks for leading me to look for and read that very interesting article, Burak!

Facilius per partes in cognitionem totius adducimur.  ~ Seneca
My Gallery

Offline Istinpolin

• Caesar
Re: Nero AE Sestertius Proto-Contriate
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2007, 10:59:51 pm »
Hi

Thanks a lot. Thats exactly what I was looking for.

Maybe NumisWiki would be interested adding this image to the article as an example. I dont know how to do that.

Best wishes,
Burak

All coins are guaranteed for eternity