Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point with your mouse on a coin in the RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin of the Day (Moderator: LordBest)  |  Topic: Elagabalus OTD 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Elagabalus OTD  (Read 558 times)
ancientcoins
Comitia Curiata
Auxiliary

Collector of Severans, Gordian III, Gallienus,etc.

« on: February 21, 2007, 09:01:25 am »

Hello all, here is my new Elagabalus denarius, reverse MARS VICTOR. Enjoy, and as always, all comments are welcome.

Elagabalus, 218-222 A.D., Rome.
OBV: IMP CAES M AVR ANTONINVS AVG, laureate, draped bust right.
REV: MARS VICTOR, Mars advancing right, holding spear and trophy; drapery flowing behind.

Andrew

Jochen
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Homo sum nil humanum a me alienum puto.

« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 09:25:43 am »

A nice coin indeed! Look at the chlamys of Mars and how it waves around his hips!

Best regards

Tiathena
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2007, 09:38:17 am »

Congrats Andrew!

A lovely den. to be sure…
  To be utterly subjective, I much-prefer that sort of portrait for Elagabalus – where he looks more ‘Severan’ so to speak.
  &nd it is indeed a nice, muscular, martial-looking Mars!

( Whoever cares for those scrawny Hercules/Mars types? ).

A nice coin!

Best,
  Tia

Facilius per partes in cognitionem totius adducimur.  ~ Seneca
My Gallery
Optimus
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2007, 11:15:28 am »

Interesting coincidence, I just got one denarius of Elagabal myself (funny but I did not have one before). Here it comes,ready to join also my Gallery files Smiley

Diagnosis: Numismaticus Incurabilis
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Coin of the Day (Moderator: LordBest)  |  Topic: Elagabalus OTD « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop