Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Please look at the RECENT ADDITIONS and PRICE REDUCTIONS at the top and bottom of the page. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES! Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Point your mouse to a coin in RECENT ADDITIONS or PRICE REDUCTIONS on this page to see the the price. All items are guaranteed authentic for eternity! Thanks for supporting Forum with your PURCHASES!

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Greek Coins (Moderator: Dino)  |  Topic: Is this a Greek coin? 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is this a Greek coin?  (Read 693 times)
dpaul7
Consul

Acta est fabula, plaudite!

« on: February 16, 2007, 10:01:56 pm »

Hello!

Am trying to figure this one out.... witih no inscription visible, it's a bit hard!  I am wondering who is on the obverse, and WHAT is on the reverse!  Any help/ideas are most welcome!

Dave R. - dpaul7

Age. Fac ut gaudeam.
Aliena nobis, nostra plus aliis placent
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=17252
Arminius
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

carpe diem

« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 12:23:58 am »

Maybe its this:

ANTIOCHOS VII. SIDETES, 139-129. Bronze, Antiochia a. O., 139-138. bust of Eros Rv. BASILEWS / ANTIOCOU - EUERGETOU , Crown of Isis, Crescent, date DOR (= year 174). Houghton Coll. 275. BMC 73, 49.

Careful cleaning will show more details.

Regards

slokind
Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Art is an experimental science

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 12:28:34 pm »

One more.  They vary in style.  Mine has no visible wing, but nice face.  Doubtless a statuary type of Eros head, but...  Pat L.
• 22 XI 00 AE17  (6.13g)  Antiochos VII Euergetes (Sidetes).  138-129 BC.  Winged bust of Eros, r., wreathed with myrtle.  Rev. Headdress of Isis.  Below, crescent (Seleucid date not visible).  Part of BASILEOS ANTIOCHOV and at left EVERGET[-- and monogram.  Same types as Sear 7098.
dpaul7
Consul

Acta est fabula, plaudite!

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 01:08:05 pm »

Thanks, Arminus & Slokind --

Yes, I think that's it.  It is a thick coin, and the style is certainly Seleucid! Coin is 18 mm. The coin already had been cleaned... I think the writing is just worn away (like on ALL my Seleucid coins Cry).

Many, many thanks!

Dave R - dpaul7

Age. Fac ut gaudeam.
Aliena nobis, nostra plus aliis placent
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=17252
slokind
Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

Art is an experimental science

« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 12:04:58 am »

Especially for Antiochos VII, the little Eros head on this coin has a sub-Lysippic character to it, like that of the statuary type called the "Piping Faun" (with its tiny horns, it may be a Boy Pan, instead).  Anyway, here is its head, taken to match the Eros on the Seleucid bronze (profile to r.), which required shooting into the light.  That is why I think the coin type is based on a real statue of about 300 BCE, maybe a generation earlier.  Pat L.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Greek Coins (Moderator: Dino)  |  Topic: Is this a Greek coin? « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop