Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Is this a Greek coin?  (Read 993 times)

Offline dpaul7

• Consul
  • Acta est fabula, plaudite!
    • FORVM GALLERIES
Is this a Greek coin?
« on: February 17, 2007, 12:01:56 am »
Hello!

Am trying to figure this one out.... witih no inscription visible, it's a bit hard!  I am wondering who is on the obverse, and WHAT is on the reverse!  Any help/ideas are most welcome!

Dave R. - dpaul7
Age. Fac ut gaudeam.
Aliena nobis, nostra plus aliis placent
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=17252

Offline Arminius

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • carpe diem
    • Arminius-Numismatics
Re: Is this a Greek coin?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2007, 02:23:58 am »
Maybe its this:

ANTIOCHOS VII. SIDETES, 139-129. Bronze, Antiochia a. O., 139-138. bust of Eros Rv. BASILEWS / ANTIOCOU - EUERGETOU , Crown of Isis, Crescent, date DOR (= year 174). Houghton Coll. 275. BMC 73, 49.

Careful cleaning will show more details.

Regards

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2007, 02:28:34 pm »
One more.  They vary in style.  Mine has no visible wing, but nice face.  Doubtless a statuary type of Eros head, but...  Pat L.
• 22 XI 00 AE17  (6.13g)  Antiochos VII Euergetes (Sidetes).  138-129 BC.  Winged bust of Eros, r., wreathed with myrtle.  Rev. Headdress of Isis.  Below, crescent (Seleucid date not visible).  Part of BASILEOS ANTIOCHOV and at left EVERGET[-- and monogram.  Same types as Sear 7098.

Offline dpaul7

• Consul
  • Acta est fabula, plaudite!
    • FORVM GALLERIES
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2007, 03:08:05 pm »
Thanks, Arminus & Slokind --

Yes, I think that's it.  It is a thick coin, and the style is certainly Seleucid! Coin is 18 mm. The coin already had been cleaned... I think the writing is just worn away (like on ALL my Seleucid coins :'().

Many, many thanks!

Dave R - dpaul7
Age. Fac ut gaudeam.
Aliena nobis, nostra plus aliis placent
https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=17252

Offline slokind

• Tribuna Plebis Perpetua
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Art is an experimental science
    • An Art Historian's Numismatics Studies
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2007, 02:04:58 am »
Especially for Antiochos VII, the little Eros head on this coin has a sub-Lysippic character to it, like that of the statuary type called the "Piping Faun" (with its tiny horns, it may be a Boy Pan, instead).  Anyway, here is its head, taken to match the Eros on the Seleucid bronze (profile to r.), which required shooting into the light.  That is why I think the coin type is based on a real statue of about 300 BCE, maybe a generation earlier.  Pat L.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity