Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Theon Synkleton & the Flavians  (Read 888 times)

leemjvd

Theon Synkleton & the Flavians
« on: February 20, 2007, 08:58:09 am »
Hi All,

I recently posted "Looks Like Greek to Me". About a coin that (I now know) comes from Daldis in Lydia (Thanks Frank !).

Obverse text however is "Theon Synkleton". My poor knowledge of Greek brings me to the translation of  "Gods of the Senate".
Theon being (I think) the plural for God and Synkleton being Senate.
a. Is this true ?

b. What is the literal translation of Synkleton? 

c. If the city of Daldis' full name is "Flavion Kaisareon Daldianon", does this translate into "Daldis of the Flavian Casears"?

d. Could the city have maintained that name after the demise of Domitian ? (If so this helps me to tack the coin to Vespasians reign (Kaisareon))

Sorry to ask so much (one fool can ask more than 10 wise men can answer - as the saying goes)

Thanks to all !

Michael van der Lee - NL

Offline Jochen

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Omnes vulnerant, ultima necat.
Re: Theon Synkleton & the Flavians
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2007, 10:17:06 am »
Hi Michael!

To answer your first two question:
Theos could be used as noun (god) but as adjective (holy, divine) too and so it is used on this coin. Synkletos (senate) is composed of syn = together and kletos from kalein = to call. So Synkletos means literally 'something which is called together'. Theos Synkletos = the Holy Senate (here in accusative).

Your third question:
Under Vespasian Daldis added  Flaviopolis or Flavia Caesarea to its name. It means 'Daldis, the Flavian Caesarea' in contrast to other cities with the same name.  At the times of the Severians this title was abandoned.

Best regards

leemjvd

Re: Theon Synkleton & the Flavians
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 03:15:19 am »
Hello Jochen,

Thank you for sharing your knowledge !
You have helped an all four points.

GREAT !

Michael van der Lee

All coins are guaranteed for eternity