Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Small silver Greek, punched  (Read 673 times)

sid

Small silver Greek, punched
« on: February 15, 2007, 01:54:43 pm »
I'm going to take another stab at clearing up a few mysteries I've had for a long time.
First up is this small Greek silver, 12 mm, 2.15 g.
The convex obverse has nothing identifiable.
The reverse seems to be of the very early punched type, maybe a square divided into four quarters, but with a rounded or Y shaped line at the end of some or all of the dividing lines. I'm not sure how well it shows up in the photo.
The closest I could find to the design on wildwinds is the obverse of this http://www.wildwinds.com/coins/greece/ionia/Svoronos_8cf.1.th.jpg. But that's not the punched side, and the other side doesn't match at all.

sid

Re: Small silver Greek, punched
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2007, 03:59:12 pm »
I think I've found a possible match, a Parion, Mysia hemidrachm

In the wildwind examples, there doesn't seem to be a consistent weight range for the drachm, 3/4 drachm and hemidrachm, and mine is just a tad lighter than the lightest coin in the bunch. Can anyone confirm my ID and whether the weight is right?

Offline Tiathena

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Nullum magnum ingenium sine mixtura dementiae fuit
Re: Small silver Greek, punched
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2007, 04:47:33 pm »

Ave Sid,

I don’t know regarding your ID, but, just for the mention in case you’d missed it – there’s one that may be of the same type per your speculation at CoinArchives, that reportedly weighed in at just 2.11 grm.

[DEAD LINK REMOVED BY ADMIN]
   Most there seem to be 3.+ grm …

Best,
  Tia

Facilius per partes in cognitionem totius adducimur.  ~ Seneca
My Gallery

All coins are guaranteed for eternity