Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Odd colors on uncleaned after Gringott's boil  (Read 1108 times)

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
  • This space intentionally left blank
Odd colors on uncleaned after Gringott's boil
« on: February 06, 2007, 11:49:52 pm »
It seems to only happen with Byzantine bronzes. I sometimes get a horrible purple pink coin when bare bronze is showing and I boil in Gringott's. I'm boiling these as the first step in cleaning, they are still dirty, but for some reason the patina is gone or spotty or even diseased. Anyone else have this problem?

I don't have a picture of the current batch, but here's on that has a similar purple/pink color on the exposed metal...
SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

Offline Mayadigger

• Caesar
  • Romans, lock your wives way!
    • Noble Roman Coins
Re: Odd colors on uncleaned after Gringott's boil
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2007, 02:20:36 am »
Ave!

Scotty,

Can you post a larger photo?

K
"Goodbye, Livia: never forget our marriage!"

Offline Scotvs Capitis

• Conservator Princeps
  • Caesar
  • This space intentionally left blank
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2007, 02:53:05 am »
Sorry Kevin, if you click on that photo it brings up a large one.

That Byzantine in the lower part of the cup has the purple metal.

That coin had some nice desert sand in it, but alas, it had some nasty bare spots, I decided to put it to the soak. I've got a few more coins soaking right now with a similar purple sheen, tomorrow I'll try to get pics.
SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery

Mark Farrell

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2007, 09:48:22 am »
Scott,

I've seen that as well, and also only on Byzantines. I presume it is because of the composition of the coin. I don't know if they can even be called "bronze" or if they are truly almost completely copper.

Other thoughts, guys?

Mark

All coins are guaranteed for eternity