Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: My Mystery coin o' the day. :)  (Read 798 times)

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • All Elagabalus provincials to me, please! :)
    • Aeqvitas.com
My Mystery coin o' the day. :)
« on: February 04, 2007, 09:05:30 am »
Finally picked up some of my coins from the bank and started going through the 'mysteries' - Pretty sure I have asked about this one before, but with a much worse picture. Anyone have any thoughts on this one? Obverse I am guessing at possibly Sev Alexander (?), but legend I can't make out. Reverse appears to have no legend at all and is possibly a centaur/pegasus or?

Offline Pscipio

• Tribunus Plebis 2009
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
  • Si vis pacem, cole iustitiam
Re: My Mystery coin o' the day. :)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2007, 11:00:39 am »
Maybe Corinth with Pegasus reverse? I didn't find a match in Lanz's Corinth catalogue, however. What's the size of the coin?

Lars
Leu Numismatik
www.leunumismatik.com

Offline featherz

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • All Elagabalus provincials to me, please! :)
    • Aeqvitas.com
Re: My Mystery coin o' the day. :)
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2007, 05:39:23 pm »
Could be.. The reverse is oddly high relief for such a thin coin (forgot to mention, it's roughly 18mm or so). It looks to me kinda like someone riding on a pegasus, but then again I could have the coin entirely oriented incorrectly. No legends or even a trace of a legend on what's there of the reverse.

All coins are guaranteed for eternity