Classical Numismatics Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 29, 2014, 04:57:16 pm
Search Calendar Login Register

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Ancient Coin Forum (Moderator: goldenancients)  |  Topic: post a pic of you, updated 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 44 Go Down Print
Author Topic: post a pic of you, updated  (Read 136217 times)
Gavignano
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

"I check Forvm daily, and take a multivitamin."

« on: February 03, 2007, 07:20:29 pm »

Hi. Tried to post off of the old thread on this topic, but the reply button was gone. Maybe after 592 replies, that is all you get.
Here is a pic of a new family member - Molly - aged 10 weeks. She has offered no definitive collecting interests yet, but seems strangely attracted to my Hadrian sestertius pocket piece. As in chewing on it.

"May all your campgates be Ticinums"
dpaul7
Caesar

Acta est fabula, plaudite!

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 06:56:59 pm »

Picture of me on right, with my oldest son Yu Jen, taken in Taitung, Taiwan.

Dave R - dpaul7

Age. Fac ut gaudeam.
Aliena nobis, nostra plus aliis placent
http://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/index.php?cat=17252
His Star
Consul

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 11:13:28 am »

YEAH!
I am so glad this thread is back!  Love the pics!  Glad the snow is yours and not mine!
Been there done that and traded the t-shirt for a cool coin!  HA!
From the sunshine state!

Matthew 2:2
Scipio Helveticus
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 01:21:02 am »

..........and this is me outside of Kursk, Russia, standing on the site of the greatest tank battle in human history! police

Me, Uncle Lyosha and a T-34 Stalin Tank!!

moonmoth
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 01:35:52 am »

Apparently, the Russians blew up a lot of the German tanks by running up to them and slapping satchel charges on them.  Now, that's a real man's approach to tank warfare!

"... A form of twisted symbolical bedsock ... the true purpose of which, as they realised at first glance, would never (alas) be revealed to mankind."
Scotvs Capitis
Conservator Princeps
Caesar

This space intentionally left blank

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2007, 06:47:28 am »

Quote from: Scipio Helveticus on March 05, 2007, 02:10:16 am
I also heard of them using dogs laden with timed explosives to take out the Panzerfaust armed infantry.

Actually, the Germans, French and Americans all employed exploding dogs well before WWII. In the latter years of WWI, dogs laden with wired charges were trained to quickly run across open ground and seek enemy trenches, upon which time they were detonated remotely by wire. Timers were used too but they were not favored, Fido could easily get confused and return, or shot dead upon being sent out and no one wants an exploding dog on the parapet of your own trench.

SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery
His Star
Consul

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2007, 11:49:11 am »

You know it sounds a bit feeble when you are talking about people killing each other to feel for the animals, but I can't stand the thought of people taking helpless animals and using them that way.  People make the decision to fight, animals don't have the capacity to make that choice (as suicide bombers I mean).  And if you believe the Bible, man was made care-taker of animals.  Of course I can't understand man's cruelty to each other, from family abuse to leaders of nations torturing their citizens.  Poor doggies.  How sad.   Cry

His Star
Consul

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2007, 01:58:52 pm »

No comments made by me are directed at any person in any jurisdiction (by reason of that person's nationality, residence or otherwise) or any thread on this site, unless of course, I told you something very nice about yourself, your family, or your coin!
Darn, war is heck! tongue Kiss tongue

CANTANATRIX
Consul

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2007, 03:10:16 pm »

Quote from: Scipio Helveticus on March 05, 2007, 02:10:16 am
The methods the Russian used to halt the German advance were numerous, but I'd say it was mostly down to the Russians replacing the soil with anti-tank mines! I also heard of them using dogs laden with timed explosives to take out the Panzerfaust armed infantry. The germans developed quite a phobia to dogs after that, but it isnt a form of warfare I approve of!

Apparently they also trained teh dogs to go under tanks wearing explosive charges. Unfortuately for the Russians (the dogs alas were pretty much done for in anycase) they had trained the dogs using RUSSIAN tanks and so rex, fido at el happily ran and hid under their own tanks rather than that of the enemy...

"Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever." Aristophanes

"He is a wise man who invented beer." Plato
Mark F
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2007, 05:20:34 pm »

Here's two quick dogs-at-war stories -- Note that I do not condone the use of any mammals besides humans in such conflict...

My grandparents had a big dog, a really monstrous Airdale, that was actually drafted in 1942! They never found out where he was "deployed", but there were hints that he helped with base security in the Pacific Northwest. The oddest thing is that my mother still has the original "draft" papers as well as the "honorable discharge". Sure enough, their dog was returned to them in mid 1945, and lived happily with them until he died sometime in the early fifties.

Another tale, but not as nice, though it has a couple of great lessons about making bad assumptions as well as learning to maintain perspective. My wife's first supervisor here in New Mexico (NM Public Defenders) was a rather interesting man. He graduated from Northwestern, as I understand it, in 1968 and didn't know what to do with himself (he eventually went to law school). Making a longer story short, he enlisted in the US Army.

This was a very risky proposition in 1968, but John had it all figured out. He was worred about being tapped for OCS or some other equally challenging job, so he lied about being a college graduate, etc. The Army was apparently all too eager for recruits at the time, so there was no true background check beyond the basics. Anyway, John takes some tests and discusses possible jobs that he qualifies for with the recruiter, who convinces him to become a dog handler. Why not, John, thought, he liked dogs just fine. He was told he would "probably" go to an army base in Europe to provide base security.

Yeah, right. Next stop was Vietnam where, at that time in the war, the army apparently used dog/handler teams to accompany true bad asses out into the jungle at night to hunt people. Sure enough, John has great stories about this. Both he and the dog survived the year and both eventually left the army.

The "perspective" part of this is that much later, John was facing some very serious challenges in his life. He said the only thing that kept him sane was that he could easily remember what it was like, lying on his back in the night in the jungle, him and everyone around him bleeding in the middle of a pounding monsoon, where he lay (to quote him) "hiding from a raging firefight with my nose up a dog's ass."

Of course while I type this, my dog is curled around my feet. Certainly they are more likable than most people.

Mark
ancientcoins
Comitia Curiata
Caesar

Collector of Severans, Gordian III, Gallienus,etc.

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2007, 07:01:17 pm »

For fear of totally derailing this thread, I will post another pic of myself in this post to be on topic  Wink

But also state that I too don't care for the idea of animals being used in combat, but the dogs in the 20th century went out quickly at least, compared to the flaming pigs used in antiquity to scare the war elephants.... yikes!

I always thought that the Total War franchise just made up the incendiary pigs as a ploy for the game, so that the elephants wouldn't be so unstoppable? Grin  At least from what I've read...

Andrew

His Star
Consul

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2007, 09:37:13 pm »

For fear of totally derailing this thread, I will post another pic of myself in this post to be on topic  Wink

So, my topical contribution, with dogs...

Oh how adorable, cute dogs too, so glad to see not a bomb strapped on any of you! Wink
Here are my four, yes, count them FOUR. . .we breed miniature schnauzers.  And not one of them has served in the military, although the silver one could, she can be so fiesty and a real bad a . . .
hum, maybe I should say tail. . .or to stay with the coin theme. . .a real bad reverse!

The black one is my male, Siggy, the Silver is Sophie, the salt and pepper is Sadie, she is the new mom to our new addition Suessee Seychelles.

Very interesting story about the dog being drafted!!!  I had never heard of that.

wolfgang336
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Aut Caesar Aut Nullus

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 07:10:26 am »

Back from a few adventures around Europe and Africa... Rome was awesome, but Morocco still has a hold on me!

Evan

CANTANATRIX
Consul

« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2007, 10:55:17 am »

A slightly blurry picture from my college's end of term ball (I'm the one with champagne in hand lol)

"Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever." Aristophanes

"He is a wise man who invented beer." Plato
maridvnvm
Tribunus Plebis 2008
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 09:26:51 am »

I don't think I have ever posted a picture of me on to the boards so here goes a fairly recent picture.
Regards,
Martin
Knuckles
Praetorian

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2007, 07:31:25 pm »

I ask you...do I look like someone who'd collect Roman coins? LOL

Kinda bizarre to see someone wearing a Business t-shirt in an ancient coin forum - in a good way of course!
Now, if I had my 4-Skins shirt we could get a theme going haha.   Wink
Scotvs Capitis
Conservator Princeps
Caesar

This space intentionally left blank

« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2007, 11:53:43 pm »

I couldn't resist another. My wife snapped this pic at the recent ROME exhibit in Houston by this cheesy sign...

SCOTVS CAPITIS - Hovstonoplis Tex
(Scott Head, TX)
My Gallery
Knuckles
Praetorian

« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2007, 10:14:16 pm »

I ask you...do I look like someone who'd collect Roman coins? LOL

Kinda bizarre to see someone wearing a Business t-shirt in an ancient coin forum - in a good way of course!
Now, if I had my 4-Skins shirt we could get a theme going haha.   Wink

Yeah...ancient cOIns!

Hah, gotta love those cheesy Oi! puns!
wolfgang336
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Aut Caesar Aut Nullus

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2007, 01:37:42 pm »

I don't think I have ever posted a picture of me on to the boards so here goes a fairly recent picture.
Regards,
Martin

Oh God! It's melting my screen!!!  Wink
Shame I didn't get out that way, Martin!

Evan

Jay G
Consul

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2007, 06:51:40 pm »

Here's a picture from Tiananmen a few years ago.....actually came home with some nice cash coins from the Tang and Ming that were actually not fakes.

Also repatriated a N. Sung coin by tossing it off the Great Wall at Juyong Pass so if anyone finds it, let me know. It is a cash of the Shaosheng Emperor.

J

http://guberman.blogspot.com/
A Survey of Ancient Coins
gallienus1
Caesar

Hope for the best but prepare for the worst

« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2007, 08:26:38 am »

Here is a couple of pics of me. The first taken in my army days (or is that daze?) The second is me last winter on one of my 3 motorbikes (an old but much loved Harley sportster)

Steve
His Star
Consul

« Reply #21 on: April 12, 2007, 09:34:40 am »

Quote from: gallienus1 on April 12, 2007, 08:26:38 am
(an old but much loved Harley sportster)
Steve

Cool Bike!

JonySky
Legionary

Live Free or die

« Reply #22 on: April 12, 2007, 04:27:21 pm »

I like this. Real people!  My puppies want to know how to meet the cute poodle? JonySky

I hope our wisdom will grow with our power, and teach us, that the less we use our power the greater it will be.
His Star
Consul

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2007, 03:00:20 pm »

What adorable pups!
Our little baby is growing so fast, her nic-name is: 'Lil Chicken Hawk'
She is so much like the cartoon character Henery Chicken Hawk, dragging and
attacking everything 100 times bigger than she is!  It is so funny to see the
three 'big dogs' run and jump up on the couch to escape the attacks!

Ardatirion
Caesar

Veni, vidi, vomui.

« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2007, 02:30:06 pm »

Hmmm.... I notice a lot of small dogs in here... Do they collect ancient coins too?  afro

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 44 Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Ancient Coin Forum (Moderator: goldenancients)  |  Topic: post a pic of you, updated « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop