Classical Numismatics Discussion
  Welcome Guest. Please login or register. All Items Purchased From Forum Ancient Coins Are Guaranteed Authentic For Eternity!!! Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Expert Authentication - Accurate Descriptions - Reasonable Prices - Coins From Under $10 To Museum Quality Rarities Welcome Guest. Please login or register. Internet challenged? We Are Happy To Take Your Order Over The Phone 252-646-1958 Explore Our Website And Find Joy In The History, Numismatics, Art, Mythology, And Geography Of Coins!!! Support Our Efforts To Serve The Classical Numismatics Community - Shop At Forum Ancient Coins

New & Reduced

Author Topic: Exhibition at the British Library  (Read 2653 times)

Offline PeterD

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • omnium curiositatum explorator
    • Historia
Exhibition at the British Library
« on: February 03, 2007, 12:04:20 pm »
If anyone lives near London or is visiting before March 4th, can I recommend "London: A Life in Maps" at the British Library. As the name implies it features maps of London through the ages and much more besides. I have always been fascinated by maps and it's even more fascinating when they show somewhere I know, as it was in earlier epocs.

As a bonus at the start of the exhibition there is a case with a few coins, including the famous Arras medalion showing Constantius entering London and the recently discovered Coenwulf gold coin. I'm not sure if they are the originals but they don't say they're not, and they look quite convincing.

I should also mention the permanent exhibition at the British Library which includes such gems as the 4th century Codex Sinaiticus, the world's oldest Bible, Magna Carta, the Lindisfarne Bible, Shakespeare's folios, etc., etc., etc.
Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context https://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia

Offline leetoone

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Yorkshire, England
    • Lee Toone
Re: Exhibition at the British Library
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 02:17:55 pm »
And if you can't get to London, here is the link to the virtual exhibition   ;D

http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/features/londoninmaps/homepage.html

Enjoy!

Lee

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 02:48:33 pm »
Hi,

There is only one Arras medallion and that is in Paris. The BM has an electrotype (by Bourgey?).

The Coenwulf gold coin is also interesting. There is rife speculation (even amongst academics) over its authenticity - the BM can't be wrong though, can they. Who mentioned Piltdown man.........

Regards,

Mauseus

Offline curtislclay

• Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
  • Procurator Monetae
  • Caesar
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 06:05:40 pm »
The original of the famous "Reconquest of Britain" medallion is not in Paris, but in the Museum at Arras, according to Bastien, Le Trésor de Beaurains (dit d'Arras), Wetteren 1977, no. 218.
Curtis Clay

Offline leetoone

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Yorkshire, England
    • Lee Toone
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 06:18:00 pm »
Curtis is absolutely right - and they don't let it out very often!

Bourgey made a number of electrotypes of the Arras hoard, of which the BM example is just one. I think he made several sets of the more spectacular coins of the Arras hoard.

I was just looking at photographs of the Coenwulf penny (or mancus) this evening. The portrait still strikes me as completely out of period!

Lee

Offline mauseus

• Procurator Caesaris
  • Caesar
  • Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......
    • Later Roman Coinage
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 06:55:51 am »
Hi,

My mistake on the Arras medallion location; knew it was in France and just assumed the BN would have got it.

Mauseus

All coins are guaranteed for eternity