Classical Numismatics Discussion Board
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 02, 2014, 02:36:48 am
Search Calendar Login Register

Recent Additions to Forum's Shop

FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Museum Collections and Exhibitions (Moderator: museumguy)  |  Topic: Exhibition at the British Library 0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic. « previous next »
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Exhibition at the British Library  (Read 1665 times)
PeterD
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

omnium curiositatum explorator

« on: February 03, 2007, 10:04:20 am »

If anyone lives near London or is visiting before March 4th, can I recommend "London: A Life in Maps" at the British Library. As the name implies it features maps of London through the ages and much more besides. I have always been fascinated by maps and it's even more fascinating when they show somewhere I know, as it was in earlier epocs.

As a bonus at the start of the exhibition there is a case with a few coins, including the famous Arras medalion showing Constantius entering London and the recently discovered Coenwulf gold coin. I'm not sure if they are the originals but they don't say they're not, and they look quite convincing.

I should also mention the permanent exhibition at the British Library which includes such gems as the 4th century Codex Sinaiticus, the world's oldest Bible, Magna Carta, the Lindisfarne Bible, Shakespeare's folios, etc., etc., etc.

Peter, London

Historia: A collection of coins with their historical context http://www.forumancientcoins.com/historia
leetoone
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Yorkshire, England

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2007, 12:17:55 pm »

And if you can't get to London, here is the link to the virtual exhibition   Grin

http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/features/londoninmaps/homepage.html

Enjoy!

Lee

mauseus
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2007, 12:48:33 pm »

Hi,

There is only one Arras medallion and that is in Paris. The BM has an electrotype (by Bourgey?).

The Coenwulf gold coin is also interesting. There is rife speculation (even amongst academics) over its authenticity - the BM can't be wrong though, can they. Who mentioned Piltdown man.........

Regards,

Mauseus

curtislclay
Tribunus Plebis Perpetuus
Procurator Monetae
Caesar

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2007, 04:05:40 pm »

The original of the famous "Reconquest of Britain" medallion is not in Paris, but in the Museum at Arras, according to Bastien, Le Trésor de Beaurains (dit d'Arras), Wetteren 1977, no. 218.

Curtis Clay
leetoone
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Yorkshire, England

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2007, 04:18:00 pm »

Curtis is absolutely right - and they don't let it out very often!

Bourgey made a number of electrotypes of the Arras hoard, of which the BM example is just one. I think he made several sets of the more spectacular coins of the Arras hoard.

I was just looking at photographs of the Coenwulf penny (or mancus) this evening. The portrait still strikes me as completely out of period!

Lee

mauseus
Procurator Caesaris
Caesar

Ah Allectus, my trusted friend.......

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2007, 04:55:51 am »

Hi,

My mistake on the Arras medallion location; knew it was in France and just assumed the BN would have got it.

Mauseus

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
FORVM`s Classical Numismatics Discussion Board  |  Numismatic and History Discussions  |  Museum Collections and Exhibitions (Moderator: museumguy)  |  Topic: Exhibition at the British Library « previous next »
Jump to:  

Recent Price Reductions in Forum's Shop